Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

2009 Flagstaff #228 - repair vs. replace water tank

New owner of a used 2009 Flagstaff #228 popup camper. Previous owner apparently did not winterize properly and the clean water tank is split. Better to repair/seal the leak or replace the tank? Is this a DIY project (I'm pretty adept at repairs)? If I repair it myself I'm having trouble finding the the water tank (part #W1311). Thanks in advance for any help.
TNCVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

Try Ameri-Kart they have the tank W1311, does not show cost though.

Here is the number
Discuss your specific needs in detail, please contact:
800-232-0847

Good luck on your repair
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

getting closer

JPBar,

Thanks for the tip on Ameri-Kart. After 'several' attempts I finally spoke with Paula who confirmed that they had the tank, but I had to go through a distributor and she couldn't sell directly to me. She was nice enough to name one in California ("Coast dist.") and a second in Springfield, MO which is much closer to me (Jazz Supply). I'm taking the camper to a local state park on Friday for a full shake down and see if I can find out exactly where the leak is and if it's something I want to try and fix, or just pay the bucks and have it repaired through a local dealer.

"Tanks" for the help.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #4

Glad to help you out. Flu bug hit me yesterday, hope I can de winterize mine this weekend.

Have fun
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

When I bought my 228D (same camper, but the dinette slides out) it was from an auction in January. I looked underneath and could see water frozen in the lines so I expected to have to replace the pump, maybe some fittings and maybe the tank. I don't have the shower or hot water tank. The deal was good so I bought it.

Come summer I tested the system and all but one fitting was good, so I replaced the fitting, but it turns out I have never used the water tank or sink since then in the 4 years I've had the camper.

I carry a 10l jug of fresh water and some 2l bottles of ice for extra water when they melt, and we do all of our cleaning outside. Never used the sink as a sink, just for storage.

If this is your shakedown trip and you are new to popups don't rush the decision to repair unless you know you will need the tank.
matwiyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

I finally found a source for the watertank in Springfield, MO (Jazz Sales). Talked with Cory who couldn't match the tank part and he said I would need to give him dimensions, location of fittings, etc. He also commented that Ameri-Kart is requiring dealers to order tanks in quantities greater than one and he wasn't sure he could fulfill my order. So, I'm biting the bullet and having the local Flagstaff dealer (RV City), get me the tank, perform the install and also research the low water flow to the sink. Terry @ RV City, Benton, AR said that the leaks may impact water flow to the sink...he'd know more after he got it in the shop. One reason I'm fixing the tank is b/c I made trade up next year to a hardshell and if I sell this pop up camper I want it to be in good working order for the trade or outright sale. I bought it in 2014 for $5500 so I figure a trade/sale should net me close to the same amount of money.
Thanks for all the feedback, very helpful.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Hey TNCVOL, we just bought a 2004 228 flagstaff. We're in Sherwood, maybe we can share some ideas about these campers since we are newbies at this. We have our first trip planned for crater of diamonds in a few weeks.
wheatbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

Repairs complete

Picked up the camper from RV City last week, tank replaced, fixed a leak inside, cleaned out the kitchen sink faucet (filled with dirt/junk/spiders...) and a couple of new fittings for ~$600. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet to check operations, but I'm confident the repairs were made correctly.
Turns out the cashier, Megan?, has the same pop-up camper and encouraged anyone to call her for questions (wheatbread...this is the best recommendation I've got). I would strongly recommend doing a dry run testing all systems at home or a local RV park to test operations before you go to Crater of Diamonds State Park. Easier to find/fix when you're close to home. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #9

We plan to do that, to make sure we know how everything works. I'll keep Megan in mind if I come up with any questions, thanks for the tips!

2015 Coachmen Clipper 17BH - Current
wheatbread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, repair, tank, water, water tank