Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #1

2011 Clipper Battery Question

Hi there,

I just bought a used 2011 Clipper pop up that I believe was manufactured by Forest River. I'm wondering what the capabilities are when using only the on board 12V battery..... (camping on a tent site without 120V power). I know I can run the 3-way fridge off the propane tank, and i think the lights work, but is it also possible to use the furnace? Thanks to anyone who knows the answer
vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Popups are typically equipped with a Group 24 battery. Looks big on the tongue but only supplies a minimal number of amphours.

The furnace is a battery killer. The typical (meaning abused) camper battery will supply maybe 56 useful amp hours before it stops running anything other than dim lights. My measurement my 19,000 BTU furnace pulls 3.36 amps when running and will consume 27 amphours in an 8 hour night. About half what the battery will probably supply. And that assumes no use of lights, water pump, etc. Dual batteries are hard to carry on small trailers though. BTW the furnace burns a pound of propane every hour so a 20 pound tank will last a weekend if you don't run the furnace when no one is there. Dual tanks recommended.

Conventional ceiling lights can use more current than the furnace (about 2.6 amps each). I just converted my 13 season Hybrid to LED lighting (0.20 amps each). Good ole Ebay Chinese LEDs were probably under $20 for the set. LED lighting will drastically cut the "other" electrical use but battery conservation remains vital if you expect to cold or even cool weather camp.

I ran a Honda 1000 pure sine wave generator for a couple of seasons. Replenished the battery every day. But that's about all it would do. My Keurig wouldn't run for example.

Learning is part of the journey. I have a spreadsheet with all my 12v amperage draws. If interested PM me your email and I'll send it. The amphours used can build up at an astounding rate. Clunky excel sheet but works for me!

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Thanks Chuck, lots of helpful info there. I had a brand new battery installed after I bought it, but I am not sure what the capacity is, I will have to check. Good to know that it is designed to work the furnace, but obviously needs to be done sparingly.
vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicviper View Post
Hi there,

I just bought a used 2011 Clipper pop up that I believe was manufactured by Forest River. I'm wondering what the capabilities are when using only the on board 12V battery..... (camping on a tent site without 120V power). I know I can run the 3-way fridge off the propane tank, and i think the lights work, but is it also possible to use the furnace? Thanks to anyone who knows the answer
The furnace is 12v only, for ignition and fan power.
It uses only propane for heat source.
There is no 110v AC heat.
You 3-way fridge runs on propane, 110v AC and 12v DC.
The 12v is only for traveling and is the weakest source to use.
By the way, Coachmen(a division of Forest River Inc)manufactured your popup, not the Forest River RV division.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

12vDC for the refrigerator sucks a lot of amps for little heat/cooling (these refrigerators work off heat). Use it only if the refrigerator won't stay lit on LP on the road and switch to propane as soon as you stop. I did this before I unhooked the camper. The flame is hardly bigger than a pilot light and can blow out easily and you end up with warm beer!

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, battery