Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 5
2011 Rockwood Freedom

I just want to alert everyone on a safety hazard on the 2011 Rockwood Freedom with the Toilet/ Shower option. The hold up device on the countertop releases with very little effort. I have had it release and almost smash my hand twice. If a small child was in the shower and the latch released I am sure the child would be seriously injured. I have installed a release lock until I can get some feedback from the dealer, Albany RV. So far no one has answered my e-mails. Next step a phone call. Please be careful everyone
__________________

__________________
fishcrikcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Flagstaff 625D Popup
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Shiremanstown PA
Posts: 207
The counter that covers the toliet/shower in our 625D is the same way.
It is very easy to bump the lever and have the counter crash into you.
I saw that the 2012 625D now has a pressure cylinder to hold it up.

Bean
__________________

__________________
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
The counter that covers the toliet/shower in our 625D is the same way.
It is very easy to bump the lever and have the counter crash into you.
I saw that the 2012 625D now has a pressure cylinder to hold it up.

Bean
We took our 625D back to the dealer and they either tightened or replaced that brace it is better than it was, but I am still not comfortable with it around my 2 1/2 year old grandson. I also noticed that the 2012 model now has a gas shock. I have emailed today to ask that they instruct our dealer to replace it with the gas shock under warranty as it is a safety hazard. My grandson has the bruises to prove it.

This is the 2012 Flagstaff 625D:


This is who I sent the email to : Tent Camper Warranties Steve Rollins srollins@forestriverinc.com
__________________
jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
The answer I got from Forest River:
"Our 2012 models do have the gas strut for the shower lid. The mount is different and would require a new top. What you have was the standard for that model year and any upgrading of this nature would not be a warranty situation."

I will buy a gas shock and add it myself
__________________
jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrikcamper View Post
I just want to alert everyone on a safety hazard on the 2011 Rockwood Freedom with the Toilet/ Shower option. The hold up device on the countertop releases with very little effort. I have had it release and almost smash my hand twice. If a small child was in the shower and the latch released I am sure the child would be seriously injured. I have installed a release lock until I can get some feedback from the dealer, Albany RV. So far no one has answered my e-mails. Next step a phone call. Please be careful everyone
Hi what is the release lock you installed?

Thanks
__________________
jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 5
I made a release lock from a piece of conduit. I put the conduit in a vise and distorted it enough to slide over the brace so it locks the brace. It isn't very pretty but if it saves someone injury I can put up with ugly. I attached some pics and hope that you can see them. I may have to put them on notice so if someone gets injured they will be liable.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1312305302

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7158&stc=1&d=131230543 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower-Toilet Deck Latch.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	7157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower-Toilet Deck Latch (2).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7158  
__________________
fishcrikcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrikcamper View Post
I made a release lock from a piece of conduit. I put the conduit in a vise and distorted it enough to slide over the brace so it locks the brace. It isn't very pretty but if it saves someone injury I can put up with ugly. I attached some pics and hope that you can see them. I may have to put them on notice so if someone gets injured they will be liable.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1312305302

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7158&stc=1&d=131230543 3
Thanks that is a good fix, thanks for sharing. Does the counter top close the same as it did before with your lock?
__________________
jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrikcamper View Post
I made a release lock from a piece of conduit. I put the conduit in a vise and distorted it enough to slide over the brace so it locks the brace. It isn't very pretty but if it saves someone injury I can put up with ugly. I attached some pics and hope that you can see them. I may have to put them on notice so if someone gets injured they will be liable.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1312305302

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7158&stc=1&d=131230543 3
You can file a complaint here:
Problem(s) with the 2010 FOREST RIVER . This database includes information received by NHTSA from consumers either directly or as recorded by the Vehicle Safety Hotline. This information may be used by NHTSA during the investigation process. You may file your own complaint by calling the NHTSA Monday-Friday 8am to 8pm at (888) 327-4236, TTY: (800) 424-9153. You can also file your complaint online. There are no known problems under this component for the specific vehicle.
__________________
jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 5
Yes the lid closes just as easily but you have to be aware it is there when you open it as it wants to jam a little, but doesn't seem to be a problem. I am working on a solution for that and I think if I close the slide gap so there is a little drag it will work better. Just have to be careful that I don't make it to difficult to slide up and down. I will try that next time I open up the camper.
__________________
fishcrikcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
Flagstaff 625D Popup
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Shiremanstown PA
Posts: 207
I wonder if you could tighten (smash) the rivet at the folding point so the arms don't more so freely ? I think that would solve the problem. I'll have to try it next time I open my 625D.

Bean
__________________

__________________
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.