Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
God Mode

2013 1904 Bed slide plastic coming out.

On the slide when pulling out the bed, there is a thin piece of black plastic that the bed slide slides on. (I think there's one on the top and bottom inside the slider)

Anyway, that piece started coming out when I pull the bed out. I end up having to either use a hammer (carefully) and tap it back in. Then I had my wife pull it slowly out as I put pressure on it with a screwdriver to keep it in the slide.

What keeps that greasy piece of plastic from coming out?

2013 1904 Rockwood Premier
maxters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

I can't wait to hear the answer to your question, I've got the same problem with mine.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

Got a picture?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Yeah pic please? I'm not seeing it in my head. Havent noticed the problem but I'll keep an eye for it since it's looking like it might be common.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

I don't know how to do pics, but I'll try to describe it. each of the 4 bed sides have a black plastic strip in their tracks. the 2 rollers in each track push up trough the strip. the black strip is cut around the rollers so they can do their thing and roll. the black strips are about 1" wide and run the length of the roller channel. For some reason as you slide your bed ends in, the slide is catching the black strip and pushing out of its channel. I can't get mine to push back in. I just got my camper and used it last week. this problem came up when we torn it down at the campground sunday. I set it up when I got home and noticed 2 black strips had pushed out of the track about 8". Gave up trying to get them in, and figured I'd post the problem, then I saw 2 other guys had the same thing going on.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

Just a follow up, I wondering if when I'm outside pushing in the beds, I slightly lift up on the bed ends so they don't rub on the 2 outside support bars, when I do that it may cause the bed slide front end to push down on the track bottom where those strips are. which may be whats pushing them out of the track. I would never have noticed the strips, if I hadn't seen them hanging off the end of the tracks, so I can see why you might be having a problem understanding what the problem is.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #7

Strange, I wasn't planning on popping ours up for a while, we're heading out after the 4th for a week so I'll have to check mine out.

I do know what you're talking about now though just never noticed mine moving. The front bunk starts to push in a little hard maybe it's that thing? but after the first foot or so it glides right in...back bunk is smooth all the way.
I'll be keeping an eye on the thread just in case it happens to us too.

Sorry I don't have any advice, well other than if you can I would let the dealer fix it...don't know about the OP but you just picked yours up a couple months ago right CJ?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
God Mode

Okay, so you guys made me pop mine up partway to show you since there is so much good discussion on this topic.

In the picture I am showing the slide on the left-hand side looking at the trailer from the hitch side. It is the piece of plastic on the top and I usually end up using a screwdriver to hold it in as I am sliding out the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403640549364.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	56239   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403640588987.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	56240  
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

Wow, yeah mine isn't doing anything like that!

maybe to little to late but have ya guys lubed up the rails with anything? I hit mine with some dry lube (and the risers too) wonder if that saved me?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #10

Yep that's it, but mine is the black strip on the bottom. I didn't even look to see if the rails had strips on the top, but I guess they do. Now the bottom ones are harder to push in because the two plastic rollers are there on each end. where each roller is there is a rectangle cut out so the roller can work. whats happened to mine is the cut out is not around the roller and the plastic strip is on the roller. the cut out is hanging out of the track like your top piece is that you are showing. this makes it even harder to get it back in, well impossible I should say. Yes gruss01 I have sprayed my tracks and rollers, I did have one roller on the far end of the track turning hard, its loose now.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
God Mode

Yea I can see where the lower one would be worse.
I figure the tip of this is going to suffer from me tapping back in each time. At some point take it in unless someone here knowing a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403646321088.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	56255  
Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #12

It wouldn't be practicable for me to take it back to the dealer, besides mine is 2nd hand, so what I did to fix it was to push it in as far as I could I cut the rest off, took the roller off and then recut the slot where the roller goes, then reinstalled the roller. the portion where the back roller is doesn't have the plastic now. I then pushed my bunks in a couple of times and they slide in with no problem, they don't catch where the plastic is cut shorter. I'm not sure what the long term effects will be with about 4" of the track missing, but unless I wanted to disassembly the whole bunk unit there was no way to get it back in place. Just wonder what is causing the problem. Also it seems unusual that this problem happened to 3 people this past week and I haven't seen it posted in the past. Must be something in the air.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #13

Mine came out on one track and the dealer said just leave it out. I can say that it appears to have no difference in the sliding of the bed in/out, and no matter what I did, it did not want to stay in the track.
The other track and the tracks on the other bed still have their little plastic strip. But like I said, it appears to make no difference.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

thanks f5moad, that's what I was wondering. After I shortened 2 of mine, and sliding in both bed ends there was no difference. I was wondering over time if it was going to cause some wear in the tracks. I will say reinstalling the rollers is tricky. Keeping the nuts inside the track lined up while putting the roller and bolt in place. Finally got smart and used a box end wrench to hold the nut in place.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
God Mode

I'm thinking of hitting with a spot of hot glue between the plastic and aluminum slide..

I'm wondering if it would hold it in without damaging anything and being removable in the future. Still can't figure what holds it in normally.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #16

On my camper, one of the black strips was missing when I bought it. I keep the slides lubed and have had no problems with the slides on the bunk ends.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
God Mode

I'm still having this issue with the slide and the slide is lubricated. Hopefully since it's a year later (no other posts of similar problems), if someone has the issue and has corrected it, you can fill me in with a solution.

Message #8 has photos of the slide in question.

For now I use a screwdriver to push on it as I pull the bed out.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #18

It's been over a year, and the bed without the one piece of plastic slides easier than the other bed!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #19

Wow f5moad, you brought this thread out of the deep freeze!Anyways where I have shortened mine there has been no problem. Like you said in post #13, not having the plastic strips in place doesn't seem to make a difference. Not sure why they are even there in the 1st place. Maybe the manufacture could save millions by not putting them in.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #20

actually Maxters brought it out of the closet

Tags
2013, bed, slide