Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

2013 2514G tents leaking

I purchased this back in May, on my 2nd trip we had a heavy rain storm and all the seams leaked around the entire camper. The worst is the bay window. The other issue is the storage compartment lid the support under neath the lid is attached with double sided tape and the support keeps coming loose. Has any one else experienced these issues. I took the unit back to the dealer Chesaco RV back in July and I am still waiting to get these issues resolved.
verydisappointedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #2

I am new to the a used 2010 1640 ltd, having just read the manual, it states that two or three wettings of the new seams is necessary to swell threads. Just an idea, maybe normal
drodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

Was this a new camper? If so, the tent material does have to be wetted down for the seam threads to swell and become water proof. Before I took our HW277 on any trip, I set it up and hosed it down. The tenting has never leaked in the 4 seasons we have been camping. We do not have your storage compartment, but all our other hinges have been fine. I also purchased from Chesaco and have had good and not so good service from them. Have you gotten an update from them about the status of your repairs (they seem to be taking some time).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

yes, as was said, the canvas needs to be pre-wetted and allowed to dry out, before taking it out camping.
the dealer should have told you this, during the PDI and there should be paperwork from the canvas manufacturer stating this. usually in the canvas care and maintenance sheet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

If his PDI experience was like mine, they may not have mentioned it (I do not remember them telling me). All I got was "here is this" and "here is that" and "any questions". I have had to figure it all out on my own from the scant manual information and this forum, which has been very helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Site Team

that is why you have to be forceful with some dealers. some will try to rush through it, if the buyers don't say something and demand a thorough un-rushed PDI.
taking a video of the PDI is often recommended for those who've never owned a RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #7

Yes very good advice but most first time buyers would have no idea and it is a situation where you don't know what you don't know. And it was a shame that even though the dealer knew it was our first camper, there was no extra effort to instruct or demonstrate anything. It was a very steep learning curve figuring things out and most of our repairs were from doing something wrong. Hindsight is 20/20 and our next PDI will be much different.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #8

We just purchased a new 2514G this weekend and will take delivery of it next Saturday. They said the walk through would take approximately two hours to show us every thing. Curious if they will mention this to us or not. Although, I am not sure if this will even be an issue as I think this unit has been set up for a little while, so that may have worked it self out.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploreco View Post
We just purchased a new 2514G this weekend and will take delivery of it next Saturday. They said the walk through would take approximately two hours to show us every thing. Curious if they will mention this to us or not. Although, I am not sure if this will even be an issue as I think this unit has been set up for a little while, so that may have worked it self out.
Congratulations and many happy camping trips. (I would still hose it down before camping with it so you know it got good and wet). ;-)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Congratulations and many happy camping trips. (I would still hose it down before camping with it so you know it got good and wet). ;-)
Thanks. That is good advice. I really don't know how long it has sat out. Don't want to find out like this person that they were not "prepped enough"

Nights Camped in 2021-?

Old 11-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

Yes this was a new unit and I did read in the manual that the tents should be wet down and sealed with candle wax. I went to Chesaco and questioned them about this and they told me they never seal the seams they just set them up and they never had one leak. I ended up spraying the seams with silicon to get me through the trip. The bay window continued to leak even after the unit had been wet several times. I also noticed that the seams mid way up on the canvas had moisture coming through. Pictures attached. As for Chesaco I checked back every week to see what progress had been made and was told they were waiting on Forest River each time. I contacted Forest River myself and it turned out that Chesaco had not completed the warranty claim nor sent the pictures I had provided to prove the tents were leaking. Another month went by and each time I checked with Chesaco I was told Forest River was still the problem. So I called Forest River back and was told new tents had been ordered and it would take 2 weeks to get them in. It ended up being 3 weeks, Chesaco received them last Friday, I confirmed this because I got the tracking # from Forest River and track the package, I have yet to receive a phone call or email from them telling me they have received them. There was no effort by the service manager to follow up and find out what the hold up was to begin with. I had to do all the calling and follow up myself and I believe had I not I would still be getting the excuse that Forest River is the problem. Over all it has been nearly 4 months since I complained about the first time it leaked and the unit has been at Chesaco since 8/7 nearly 3 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	42199   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	42200   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	42201  
verydisappointedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the update. Hope you get the camper back soon. I did read about the candle wax, but have not used it. I thought it was for stopping leaks and not needed for the initial seal. Just wetting the tent should do it.
I also had issues getting a response from Chesaco. None of my repairs were warranty, so they did not have the excuse "waiting on FR". The first time I took it in was for a leak in the grey water system under the camper (I had run over a hubcap in the road). I had a trip planned and could not get an update from them. I left messages, never got a return call. When I would get through, he always said he would call me back after he checked on it. He never did. I logged every call and result and sent a long e-mail to the service manager. They knew I was royally pissed. If they had told me it was not in the shop it would have been fine - but not to return my calls - that is what got me angry. I was about to tell them I was picking it up fixed or not when they finally called to say it was repaired. The second experience was quite different, my lift cable had broke two weeks before a trip. They got it in and repaired in time for my trip (and a hurricane did not delay them even though they were out of power for days) - I had no issues with updates that time. go figure. So with that spotty record, I am looking for another place that is closer.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Site Team

it's much more common that the dealer is at fault, than the manufacturer, no matter what brand it is.
dealers will use the manufacturer as a scapegoat for their own foul-ups or not following through.
parts is an example. the dealer will blame the manufacturer on parts delay, when it's the dealer who's waiting to get a bigger order together, so that they save on shipping costs.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #14

That is a bummer Verydisapointed. I hope they get it all taken care of for you and get your camper fixed as good as new. I just picked up my brand new 2514G yesterday so I can relate the feeling of wanting to use something and then not getting to.

Sounds like your dealer doesn't provide the best customer service and probably never thought you would call FR yourself and follow up.

Hope they get your canvas on and have you ready for camping next year and that was just a fluke.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

Tags
2013, 2514g, leak