Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

2014 FR Rockwood water pump

On my last trip I filled the water tank like normal and hit the switch to pressurize the water and nothing happened. No sound. Nada. Checked fuses multiple times and everything looks good.

My only guess is that on the previous trip the pump was left on while the tank was empty and it ran itself to death.

So a few questions:

- Is there anything else I should check?
- Where is the pump even located, I could not find it
- Is replacement the most logical step (the water pump)
- Any tips for diagnosis
mcneilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneilp View Post
On my last trip I filled the water tank like normal and hit the switch to pressurize the water and nothing happened. No sound. Nada. Checked fuses multiple times and everything looks good.

My only guess is that on the previous trip the pump was left on while the tank was empty and it ran itself to death.

So a few questions:

- Is there anything else I should check?
- Where is the pump even located, I could not find it
- Is replacement the most logical step (the water pump)
- Any tips for diagnosis
I can’t help you find your pump but you’ll have to find it because the water pump fuse is generally within 18” of the pump. The pump is generally near the fresh water tank.
When you turn on your water pump, does the switch light up?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes... you are going to have to find the pump and check for voltage.

On my 5th wheel, the pump is 30' from the fresh tank and hidden behind a panel in the pass through.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #4

The switch doesnt have a light sadly.

So from what it sounds like I find the pump, turn it on and check to see if I am getting voltage at the unit. If so, and it doesn't turn on, then its toast.

If no voltage...well, get some!

Thank water tank is under the trailer...and the whole trailer is small enough that it could be anywhere. I will roll it out soon and try to find it again.

Thank you so much for all the quick responses.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:

So from what it sounds like I find the pump, turn it on and check to see if I am getting voltage at the unit. If so, and it doesn't turn on, then its toast.

Thank water tank is under the trailer...and the whole trailer is small enough that it could be anywhere. I will roll it out soon and try to find it again.

The water pump will usually be located on the left (driver) side in a pop-up because that's where the water fill and other plumbing is. Look under the seats, behind drawers, or in a cabinet. Again, without knowing your specific model PUP, the pump will be very close to, if not under the sink, and within a foot or two of the switch. It is generally mounted to the floor, with screw-on connections. Forest River doesn't spend a lot of time and money running plumbing and electrical in PUPs and A-frames.

I did the same thing to my pump in my first A-frame. My house at the time had well water, and the tank water would get a sulfur smell if it sat in the tank for a couple of months (water heater was worse). So I would open the tank drain as we left the campsite on the way home. One time, I forgot to turn off the pump, and burned it out.

Sherwood pump replacement was $65 - not bad compared to some of my other mess-ups. Installation of the replacement was a PITA because of difficult access. I managed to cross-thread the inlet side of the replacement pump, and created an air leak which stopped the new pump from priming and pumping. Took a couple of hours to find that one.

I sincerely hope it goes better for you.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

The first thing you should do after you find the pump is find and test the pump’s fuse.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Ok, so knowing it is close to the switch really helps. I bet it is hiding behind a drawer there.

The model is 2317G 2014 Forest River Rockwood

So my order of operations is:
1. find the pump
2. test voltage to the pump
3. test and check fuse again

If i have voltage and fuse is good, i am guessing the pump is toast. I wonder if that is a part that local RV dealers would carry.

Thanks again for all the quick help.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

Did you check the battery? If your P/U has the original battery it may be bad. Just a thought. My water pump is under the bench seat next to the sink cabinet. Good Luck.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, so knowing it is close to the switch really helps. I bet it is hiding behind a drawer there.

So my order of operations is:
1. find the pump
2. test voltage to the pump
3. test and check fuse again

If i have voltage and fuse is good, i am guessing the pump is toast. I wonder if that is a part that local RV dealers would carry.

Thanks again for all the quick help.
Did someone say the pump is near the switch? Mine is certainly not.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Did someone say the pump is near the switch? Mine is certainly not.
In PUPs and A-frames, it is very awkward to route any more wire or pipe or similar across the center aisle than is necessary. Any connection going across the aisle has to be routed down through the floor, strung across the frame, and back up through the floor. There is no wall or ceiling to route stuff through. There are also no fixed full height partitions.

That's why the pump switch is usually within a foot or two of the actual pump.

Fred W
Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
In PUPs and A-frames, it is very awkward to route any more wire or pipe or similar across the center aisle than is necessary. Any connection going across the aisle has to be routed down through the floor, strung across the frame, and back up through the floor. There is no wall or ceiling to route stuff through. There are also no fixed full height partitions.

That's why the pump switch is usually within a foot or two of the actual pump.

Fred W

Sorry... I wasn’t questioning the facts - I just hadn’t seen the “pump close to switch” comment. Now I do. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Sorry... I wasn’t questioning the facts - I just hadn’t seen the “pump close to switch” comment. Now I do. Thanks for the explanation.
You are welcome. That's why it's so helpful to know what model of RV the OP has - there are some subtle differences between the types and between models that make sense when you understand the reasons.

Fred W
Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:

I bought my drop-in replacement pump from Amazon. I used the model number off the existing pump. I am not Prime, so I normally take the lowest cost shipping option. Generally gets to me (Colorado Springs) in less than a week.

Camping World with a good parts store might have it in stock. My best bet would be Roberts RV in Denver - they have an extensive stock of parts for pop-ups and A-frames because they rent pop-ups (as well as sell pop-ups and A-frames). Phone calls work with Roberts - it's a family-owned business.

Fred W
Old 05-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

Well, I found the pump, it was under the back u shaped bench next to the compartment with the water heater.

Opened it up and there was a power cord not connected to anything. Being a master electrician I deduced that this was generally not correct. Plugged the pump back in and presto...fixed.

I guess vibration from travel or otherwise loosened it? Really strange as its on the back side of the pump and jammed against a wall (had to unscrew the pump to even plug it in). Perhaps it was never really properly connected anyway.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:

Being a master electrician I deduced that this was generally not correct.
Well thank goodness for that! I would probably still be staring at it, bewildered, wondering why the heck it wasnt working!

kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #16

I am having the exact same problem with the used 1640 ESP tent trailer we just bought, changed the battery which was bad, made sure the switch is set to 12v power, checked the fuse, but still no sound when I turn the switch on. Also no water when I turn on the faucet. I also can not find my pump any thoughts on its location for my model?
MRphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #17

Look under the sink and follow the water lines. They should point in the right direction.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRphotography View Post
I am having the exact same problem with the used 1640 ESP tent trailer we just bought, changed the battery which was bad, made sure the switch is set to 12v power, checked the fuse, but still no sound when I turn the switch on. Also no water when I turn on the faucet. I also can not find my pump any thoughts on its location for my model?

Is there water in the tank?

Fred W
Old 06-03-2019, 02:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Look under the sink and follow the water lines. They should point in the right direction.
Thank you, found it today got the pump swapped g2g.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Is there water in the tank?

Fred W
Yup it was full of water. It was a bad pump, swapped it today, the previous owner left it on and drained the water tank and burned out the pump.

Tags
2014, forest river, pump, rockwood, water, water pump