Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

2014 Viking/Forest River 2105ST - Power Problems

This is my first post to this forum and I'm a relatively inexperienced RV owner. My problem is electrical related. My family and I went camping and I plugged the trailer in 48 hours in advance. When I plugged it in I could hear the converter running (should i hear it?). When we got to the mountain we didn't have power. When plugged into the truck it worked fine however nothing when it was plugged. No breakers were tripped and all of the fuses looked fine. I'm not sure what to do from here. I just got home and plugged it in and the converter only ran for about 10 seconds and shut off. Is there a battery shut off that isn't releasing when the trailer is popped? I couldn't find one and the owners manual doesn't specify.

Thoughts? I already had the converter replaced once and I hate to take it to the shop because it will sit there for 6 weeks.

Thanks!

Blake
brose409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Check the battery with a hydrometer.
Unless a previous owner installed one, popups don't come with factory disconnect switches.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

If the battery was not disconnected while the camper was being stored, the battery probably won't hold a charge under any circumstances. Parasite drains like the propane/CO alarm, possibly the stereo, and anything else that doesn't or is not turned completely off sucks the power from the battery. Normally, a PUP battery will last about 2 weeks with those drains before it is completely dead. You also need to make sure the fridge is not set to DC except when actually towing.

The fan noise from the converter is because it is working hard trying to charge a nearly dead battery. If the battery is too far gone, converters (especially WFCO) will shut down to protect themselves. WFCO converters are also known for blowing either the battery or the reverse polarity fuse in this situation (mine did).

Replace the battery and learn your lesson. Disconnect the battery whenever the camper is not in use or plugged in to prevent parasite drains. Or install a disconnect to do it with a switch. Below is a photo of the marine disconnect switch I installed on my A-frame (about $25 on Amazon).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cutoff switch 23Apr2016.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	118577  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags