Old 08-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

2019 228D Questions

Hi, community!

My husband and I just brought our 228D home yesterday.

So, the dealership we bought the camper from was pretty subpar. The salespeople knew very little about the limited number of popups on the lot. We were supposed to get a demonstration of how the camper popped up and down but they didn't do that. Instead, they closed it while we were waiting and said we were good to go. So my husband and I popped it up as soon as we got it home, hoping to reverse engineer how they closed it down.

Set up was easy. We aren't really strangers to pups but this model is much newer and bigger than our previous that we had for a short amount of time.

We played around in it for a few hours realizing we still had questions about the camper that no one helped us with because we didn't get that demonstration from the dealership. So I have a few questions for you guys!

First of all. The cushions for the bump-out dinette can't stay on the dinette when it's being put away otherwise the beds can't roll over the top of the dinette. What do you guys do with those cushions? One easily fits between the two beds once they are pushed in but I have 3 other cushions I'm not sure exactly what to do with. I'm assuming they need to go on top of the beds but I don't want them to be squished. Any help on how to store them safely would be appreciated.

James was wondering if the deep cycle will charge while it's plugged into 110 volt? Or does he need to put a deep cycle charger on it?

There are two cotter pins on either side of the dinette bump-out attached to a braided wire. It's located on either corner of the dinette. When they had the camper popped up, they didn't have them plugged into anything and I didn't need to release them when we opened it back up. We have no idea what they go to or if we need to use them for anything.

I think those are all of our questions for now. I think we figured everything else out while we fumbled through the breakdown last night. We need to come up with a system and flow but I'm sure that will develop over time.

We have our first trip planned for next weekend. Just going to a state park right across the street from our house but it will hopefully be a good experience for us and our dogs.

Any help or advice you could give us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Julie

jamesandjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

To bad you didn't get the Rockwood 2318g model instead from House of Camping, they are the best! Your 228D and the 2318g are the same camper but with different colors and styles of interiors, both are the same Forest River camper.

You shouldn't have even accepted the camper without a PDI. In fact you have to sign off on it that they did show you everything as part of the paper work for Forest River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandjulie View Post
James was wondering if the deep cycle will charge while it's plugged into 110 volt? Or does he need to put a deep cycle charger on it?
The converter has a built in charger that charges the battery when it's plugged in. You shouldn't need a stand alone charger.

Quote:
There are two cotter pins on either side of the dinette bump-out attached to a braided wire. It's located on either corner of the dinette. When they had the camper popped up, they didn't have them plugged into anything and I didn't need to release them when we opened it back up. We have no idea what they go to or if we need to use them for anything.
The cotter pins are very important! They go through the pegs on the outside, where the pegs from the slide go through a steel bracket to keep the slide out from moving back into the camper if bumped or winds push it. The pins must be put in.

I would call Forest River and explain that you were shown none of this and see if they somehow can help you out.

Watch this video here for setup instructions.

Here's the owner's manual

Good luck with everything!

2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you for your help!

We went through Camping World and we are very upset with most of the experience there. There was nothing to sign for the final walkthrough.

Honestly, even if we did get a final walk-through and they showed us how to put it away, I don't think we would have learned anything. They didn't know anything. The cotter pins weren't even used, they were just hanging in the camper.

We'll contact forest River. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you for your help!

We went through Camping World and we are very upset with most of the experience there. There was nothing to sign for the final walkthrough.

Honestly, even if we did get a final walk-through and they showed us how to put it away, I don't think we would have learned anything. They didn't know anything. The cotter pins weren't even used, they were just hanging in the camper.

Yep, never ever heard anything good about Camping World, only horror stories like yours.

Good luck with everything.
2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for your help!

I wish you'd joined the Forum or any RV forum BEFORE you bought your popup.
It would have saved you a lot of misery and frustration.
But we have a good group of popup owners here that can help.
And the majority would have warned you about CW.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #6

For the dinette cushions we put the two large ones on top of each other, plus one of the smaller ones (standing on end), under the folding table. It is a bit of a squeeze, however, it works. The other small one can easily go between the beds as you stated. We have the Rockwood twin, 2318G. Best of luck.

2015 Rockwood 2318G
TV: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE
Metadifluoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

Wow, never thought about that the cushions couldn't stay on the dinette at all. My premier is a taller sidewall so all my cushions can stay on the dinette and my other slideless pop ups, they could all stay on.

It's the simple things like that, that get overlooked. Good to have a good community here to help in the things like that. Initially I didn't understand as it didn't make sense but after going back to some 2318g pics I definitely see now that the cushions are higher than the roller wheel for the bunkends.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #8

As has been said already I put the 2 larger cushions under the table along with the hanging pantry. They fit nicely.

I did try the single back cushion on its end next to the two larger ones but it is a VERY tight squeeze and I was afraid of long term compression. I was already putting one of the smaller ones on the floor on its end going front to back next to the closed dinette... I just put the other one above it at an angle. The only drawback is you cant really place them until its closed up already.
flyerdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
As has been said already I put the 2 larger cushions under the table along with the hanging pantry. They fit nicely.

I did try the single back cushion on its end next to the two larger ones but it is a VERY tight squeeze and I was afraid of long term compression. I was already putting one of the smaller ones on the floor on its end going front to back next to the closed dinette... I just put the other one above it at an angle. The only drawback is you cant really place them until its closed up already.
FLyerdp,

This is exactly what we ended up doing. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post

The cotter pins are very important! They go through the pegs on the outside, where the pegs from the slide go through a steel bracket to keep the slide out from moving back into the camper if bumped or winds push it. The pins must be put in.
Thank you thank you thank you! We didn't even have the dang dinette all the way out. This was super helpful!

Tags
228d