Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Popup New Guy (PuNG)

2270 PUP lube and grease

So prior to our first outing of 2014 in our 2270, I decided it might a good idea to perform the lube/greasing maint for the wheels and lifting device.

The existing grease in the driver's side wheel hub wasn't dried out or separating, but it seemed dark and ready for replacement. Using my grease gun, I was surprised at the force required to inject the new grease into the zirc in the center of the hub. To verify the operation of my grease gun, I pulled it off and verifed easy pumping action. I began filling the zirc again. After significant effort, I finally saw the new grease start to issue. I had the wheel jacked off the ground a bit and spun it by hand as I added grease. This process just seemed more difficult than it should have been. I also noticed a sharp 'tab' inside the hub. It was a square end probably 1/8" wide and white in color. Fearing that I had broken something off, I checked the other hub and noted the same 'tab' sticking out of the outer circumference in the hub. I opted not to grease the other hub as its existing grease still had the original purple color and wasn't dried or separating.

I then went to grease the zircs on the lifting device on the underside. This time the grease pumped easily, but I wasn't sure how much to add. So...how much should you add...and where do you expect the excess to issue from? When I operated the lifting motor...there was excess grease on the cable as it came toward the rotor drum.

Last year, I noticed a popping and snapping sound as I raised the roof with the motor...which made me nervous. It seemed to be coming from the cable/rotor assembly. I had the stabilizers down per the Rockwood tech manual. But after reading other forums that recommend raising the roof with the stabilizers up allowing the frame to flex, I gave that method a try this time and noted no popping...or excess strain on the lifting system.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd be interested in feedback on the lubing process on the hubs and lifting system. Thanks.
djy887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #2

I've heard some say they had problems with the EZ lube zerks on the axles. I for one, have not. But the first time I did mine it took darn near a full 14 oz tube for both sides. This year, it only took a few pumps for grease to start coming out. I'll use the EZ lube zerks again next year, if no problems, but after the third time, I will pull the wheels and bearings, replace all the seals, check the brakes and hand grease the new bearings.
As for the center track lube; I just pump until some starts to come out of the ends. Took quite a bit the first year too.

Don't forget the corner springs or spray some WD or other lube onto the bottom of the motor assembly.

Is the popping noise coming from the corner posts? Need to add some dry lube (or whatever you prefer) to the corner posts.

Here's some info at this post...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nch-60970.html

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags