Old 05-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #1

2516g w Outback 2015 2.5i

Hi everyone,

With the 2516g weighing about 2500 pounds, could I pull it behind my 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i? It's max towing capacity in 2700. Am I supposed to calculate the weight of the people in the car for that or is the 2700 specifc to just what I'm hauling?

Thanks,

Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

No one should tell you yes or no on this subject. In Europe the 2.0i has a tow limit of 3500 lbs.
in Australia the dealer installed towing package includes a tranny cooler where as here in the U.S. it doesn't.
I just started pulling an R-Pod 171 (2500 lbs) with my 2013 outback 2.5i. The first extended hill climb gave me a transmission temp. alert. Installing a cooler this week.

However I'm out of warranty by installing the cooler. You have to consider your warranty options. Subaru is way less than useful when it comes to towing with their cars.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:57 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

If 2500lbs is its dry weight, then you're already over.
No trailer weighs its brochure/ website dry weight.
It will easily weigh over 2700, with no cargo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #4

I went by the yellow sticker which gives its delivered weight at 2505. The term dry weight for me is without water. We are being cautious with loads because you can easily go over the 2700 USA tow limit. But this same car in Europe with a smaller engine is rated 3500 lbs. tow limit.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by suretma View Post
It's max towing capacity in 2700.
Yes, but... The maximum tongue weight Subaru recommends is 200 pounds. Since you are supposed to have 10-15% of the trailers weight as tongue weight that puts your trailer way over the recommend limit when loaded.

Their recommended tongue weight versus supposed towing capacity cost Subaru a sale in our case. Claiming a 2700 pounds tow capacity when the tongue weight is limited to 200 pounds is "fuzzy" math at it's best.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

Yea, but.... I realize the fear and we may switch my outback for something more. When we hitch the trailer up the outback doesn't even give an inch. The same trailer on a GMC dropped the truck more than an inch. I do think the outback easily handles more than the factory recommendation. But we shall get a better feel by the end of a 10 day trip we are taking up the coast of SoCal to the Russian River.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Dry weight does not mean without water. It usually means no propane, no battery and no food or equipment and no water. I have an Outback and I can tell the difference between driving alone and with 4 adults. It is a great car, but Do not tow that trailer with it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #8

What then?

So if I go with what you're telling me it's a no go but what then are the options? I really want a trailer with a shower cassette. I liked the extra room of the tip out. What weight should I look at as a max?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
What weight should I look at as a max?
For your Subie the first limiting factor is the maximum recommended Tongue Weight of 200 pounds. Tongue Weight should be a minimum of 10-15% of the trailers loaded towing weight. That limits you to a maximum trailer weight of 2,000 pounds fully loaded. That little Tongue Weight "gotcha" kept us from buying a new 2015 Outback Limited 3.6...

In reality what you can safely, comfortably tow is going to be less than 2,000 pounds when you look at your overall weights. Here is a link to the Trailer Life 2015 Towing Guide that explains the different weights you need to review: Towing Guide Another good article is Here. Your Subie's Owners Manual is the "final" word in determining what you can safely, and legally, tow and what options you may need.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
So if I go with what you're telling me it's a no go but what then are the options? I really want a trailer with a shower cassette. I liked the extra room of the tip out. What weight should I look at as a max?
The problem is that you own a vehicle that severely limits your towing options.
You chose a vehicle that really wasn't designed for towing. With the 200lbs hitch max, you don't have a lot to choose from.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote