Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

296hw tv reception

can someone tell us what type of antenna will work to get channels without buying a satelite
Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Jgahlhoff

You will need an HD antenna about $120 at camping world. Most places you will get 5 or more stations with the unit. Good luck. Jerry
jgahlhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

I too am also trying to find the perfect answer to his question I am thinking of trying this one and see how it does. If not I will take it back and try make an external set up on a pole like some have done.

http://http://www.campingworld.com/s...-antenna/68966 I have seen this cheaper online at Walmart and Amazon.

I don't need to pull in a ton of channels, just some locals is all we care about. We just like to see the news before we go to bed mainly and when we get up. We really don't go camping to sit and watch tv all day long. And if we were stuck in side with the rain or something we probably will just watch a movie.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

If you have a digital tv any antenna you can use at home will suffice for local digital channels. I think even an indoor rabbit ear type might work if the stations are close enough. There are of course powered type antennas associated with rv's and any one of those will suffice. They will pick up stations that are distant from your camping locations.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #5

thanks for the info, our camper is on order and we were just wondering what we needed to get to use when the weather is too bad to be outside enjoying camping, with our luck when we go it will probably rain on us at some point, so we want to be ready for those rainy days where we can watch the weather reports.
Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Team

agreed about any antenna will do. HD antennas are just a marketing scam.

i have a non-"HD" rabbit ears antenna on my garage tv and it pulls in stations quite well, with HD quality picture.
the TV is digital and doesn't need a "HD" antenna.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

No such thing as a HD antenna......marketers want you to think so. I built an antenna out of scrap wood and copper wire......I'll put it up against any on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgahlhoff View Post
You will need an HD antenna about $120 at camping world. Most places you will get 5 or more stations with the unit. Good luck. Jerry
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Denver, CO

The STOCK antenna on RV are not set up to pick up the frequencies that the digital signals are transmitted. A Jack antenna (or antenna top replacement) or a sensor attachment to a winegard is needed Whomever says different is wrong. I pick up 20 or more channels with the Jack antenna, and got NONE with the stock winegard. It is true that ANY digital antenna will work, although I have only tried a few.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
The STOCK antenna on RV are not set up to pick up the frequencies that the digital signals are transmitted. A Jack antenna (or antenna top replacement) or a sensor attachment to a winegard is needed Whomever says different is wrong. I pick up 20 or more channels with the Jack antenna, and got NONE with the stock winegard. It is true that ANY digital antenna will work, although I have only tried a few.
Digital OTA tv is nothing more than UHF........that round loop you always got with your tv back when VHF ruled the airwaves........same thing. Any dipole antenna will receive UHF stations.........but please, spend your money where and how you like. Once again..........no such thing as a Digital Antenna.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Denver, CO

All I am saying is that the STOCK WINEGARD, which is NOT a UHF antenna, doesn't work. That's why you need to add to it or replace it. All digital antenna's DO work. The loop antenna will work, but in most areas it will not work without an amplifier.

A radio shack digital antenna will work fine, I have one at home.

I am all for saving money, not throwing it away or giving inaccurate information.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #11

Well the boys on Madison Ave. have earned their money.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Denver, CO

And the scientists have failed in the face of ignorance. LOL
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
All I am saying is that the STOCK WINEGARD, which is NOT a UHF antenna, doesn't work.
i have to respectfully disagree.
the stock Winegard tv antenna, on our 2007 HTT, works great with our HD tv.
in fact, the picture is just as good as our HD home tv, if we have a good signal.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i have to respectfully disagree.

the stock Winegard tv antenna, on our 2007 HTT, works great with our HD tv.

in fact, the picture is just as good as our HD home tv, if we have a good signal.

Whether it works or not in one or another specific situation is not my point. the stock antenna is NOT designed for UHF frequencies and the attachments or replacements are! ALL of them pretty much.. That's just a fact.

The OP was asking what to use and in all due respect, I recommended the most technically sound solution. I DON'T disagree with all of you'all's experiance, that is what you observed, but MANY others have needed the purpose designed antenna's to get an acceptable signal.

That's it for me.

Tags
reception, tv reception