Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

a few questions from a new owner

Hi to all,

My name is Ben. My wife and I have three children. We recently bought a 2013 Rockwood Premier 2516G to use instead of tent camping. We've taken it out a few times and so far it's pretty awesome.

I do have a few questions -

1) The cassette toilet is giving me some problems. The model I has opens up on the outside of the camper and a tube twists out. I filled this up with chemical and water to the fill line. From what I understand, this is supposed to flush water thru the toilet when you push a button. It makes a "whirring" noise, but no water comes thru. Any suggestions?

2) The water system... this part is confusing. I found the water pump under the couch and put the filter on. I found the on/off button by the breaker box for the pump. We have the outside connection and have used that for the sink (cold water only). I guess I could just use some advice as to how this system works. I would like to get hot water flowing thru so we can take showers. Can anyone walk me thru this process?

thx,

Sincerely,

Ben Hardy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	17959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	17960  
benjamin2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry but I'm not familiar with tent campers. While you wait for feedback to your questions I wanted to say hi & welcome to the forums!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #3

What is the make and model Of your cassette toilet? Mine is a Thetford 402C.

It has two tanks. One is a fresh water tank and should only hold fresh water. The other is the waste tank. The waste tank should have 2 liters if water and 8oz of waster tank chemical added before first use (and empires either when full or before leaving the CG, whichever comes first).

It sounds like you may be adding water and chemical to the waste tank, not the fresh tank.

Or, that you have a model that pulls water from you fresh supply and possibly a problem with the full line or an empty tank.

Post the model of your toilet. It should be on a sticker where the cassette is removed.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

On to question 2.
Fill the water tank with water, turn on the pump and you have water out of the faucet.
Now, before you consider using that water you need to sanitize the water tank. Do a search for Geo method on the forum and you will get the instructions.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin2099
Hi to all,

My name is Ben. My wife and I have three children. We recently bought a 2013 Rockwood Premier 2516G to use instead of tent camping. We've taken it out a few times and so far it's pretty awesome.

I do have a few questions -

1) The cassette toilet is giving me some problems. The model I has opens up on the outside of the camper and a tube twists out. I filled this up with chemical and water to the fill line. From what I understand, this is supposed to flush water thru the toilet when you push a button. It makes a "whirring" noise, but no water comes thru. Any suggestions?

2) The water system... this part is confusing. I found the water pump under the couch and put the filter on. I found the on/off button by the breaker box for the pump. We have the outside connection and have used that for the sink (cold water only). I guess I could just use some advice as to how this system works. I would like to get hot water flowing thru so we can take showers. Can anyone walk me thru this process?

thx,

Sincerely,

Ben Hardy
For number 1. Do not put chemicals in the fill tube of the cassette pottie. You go inside and put chemicals directly into the black tank.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #6

Also Hot Water will come from the water heater. Including when you are hooked up to the campground. You do not need the water pump when hooked up to campsite.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #7

I think it's a 402c model. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-194910665.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	17975  
Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #8

Fresh water only in the top tube. About 2 liters of water and the Chem in the bottom tank at startup.

There should be a full tube somewhere on your fresh water part of the toilet. Mines on the left side, but your configuration is different than mine. The fresh tank should hold at least 3 or 4 gallons of water for flushing purposes.

The 'whirring' sound is the full motor for the toilet and sounds like the fresh tank is empty or something is t connected properly.

Double check your fresh tank and make sure it's completely full. Keep in mind there is a trap in the fresh fill neck so filling goes slow and takes a whole. It usually takes a good 5-10 minutes for me to fill mine using a slow steady stream from a waterhose.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Fresh water only in the top tube. About 2 liters of water and the Chem in the bottom tank at startup.

There should be a full tube somewhere on your fresh water part of the toilet. Mines on the left side, but your configuration is different than mine. The fresh tank should hold at least 3 or 4 gallons of water for flushing purposes.

The 'whirring' sound is the full motor for the toilet and sounds like the fresh tank is empty or something is t connected properly.

Double check your fresh tank and make sure it's completely full. Keep in mind there is a trap in the fresh fill neck so filling goes slow and takes a whole. It usually takes a good 5-10 minutes for me to fill mine using a slow steady stream from a waterhose.
The tube will be on the left side on this model as well. It is a clear tube you can view the water level with it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Thanks for the help guys. I can see the clear tube on the left side and it's definitely empty. I plan on taking it out this weekend and seeing if I can get it working. It's hard with a pop-up because the toilet is inside.

So for the water system... Here is what I'm thinking: 1) hook up on site and turn on, 2) turn on the water pump and the gas line to heat the water, 3) try the shower and faucet to check for hot water. Is it that simple?

Thx again

Ben
Old 08-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #11

If you are connected to city water you do not need the water pump on. The water pump is only used for water pumped from the on board water tank. Before you attempt to light off the water heater, be sure there is water in the HWH tank, the water system is pressurized and all of the lines have no air in them. Then light the heater off, and wait about 15 minutes. By then you should have hot water.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #12

There is a thread called Aframe Appliances ove in the AFrames area. rawlus and other aframers contributed info to put together a single PDF with all the user manuals. One of the manuals is for the toilet you have. Here's the link to the document. It might help you with your cassette toilet.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...4&d=1293030655
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

Also be sure to have a pressure regulator for your hose to protect your camper
Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin2099 View Post
So for the water system... Here is what I'm thinking: 1) hook up on site and turn on, 2) turn on the water pump and the gas line to heat the water, 3) try the shower and faucet to check for hot water. Is it that simple?

Thx again Ben
you have to light the WH, after you run some water thru it. just turning on the propane, doesn't light the WH. you either have to manually light it or if you have DSI, turn the red toggle switch on. that will auto light the WH, if the propane is turned on at the tank.
it's always good to light the stove burners first to clear the propane line of air.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #15

Ben we had this same problem with the cassette toilet our first time out. You will need to insert the little green funnel that snaps off the tank to fill the fresh water tube. Otherwise, the water will not fill.hope this helps!
LML967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #16

You don't need to turn on the water pump........the water conection will have enough pressure. Once you have turned on the water after hooking up your hose from source to camper, go around and turn on all fawcetts, hot and cold to allow air to escape....kitchen sink, outside shower and inside shower. It's going to blow air and make all kinds of noise until it runs water through it........DO NOT TURN ON THE WATER PUMP BY THE POWER CENTER. Once you have the water lines clear of air...across from the sink, below the sofa is the turn on switch for the hot water heater......turn it on and the red light will glow until it is ready to fire off by itself...there is nothing more to do. Make sure you turn on your LP on the tanks.
You're going to want to toss the shower heads in the trash and buy two Oxygenics Shower heads......I got mine off of Amazon. It makes a world of difference.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #17

Just for clairification.......you know that there are two water connections right?.......one for constant water supply on the service side of the camper which would be outside behind what will be the kitchen area. The second being a fill tube site for the water tank if you were dry camping and had to carry in your own water......this is located on the front side of camper by the front door and swing out hand rail area......just above the tire.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #18

Hey all,

Thanks for the tips. I'll give the m a try next time we go out.

Ben