Old 06-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

A few thoughts on my new Rockwood HW296

First off, I have to say the units is absolutely beautiful compared to my old 2011 Flagstaff HW27SC. It tows a lot better with the dual axles. I wanted the extra cargo capacity because I like adding stuff.
First off, It only comes with one(1) bunk end light and fan combo. I didn't believe the dealer but a phone call to Forest River confirmed it, so I ordered another one. It's kinda like the unit only coming with 3 tires...how cheap.
Who thought having the only way to turn the bathroom light on at night is to reach up to the ceiling and push the button on the light? The other option would be to turn off all the other lights and use the switch by the entry door. I guess no one at Forest river has small kids or grand kids. It's an easy fix, I just put one of those motion sensor LED puck lights on the bathroom wall. There use to be a light switch down low on the bathroom enclosure, but I guess they saved a couple of bucks not putting it in any longer.
And why are you still using press board on the floor(other than it's cheap), any other option would be better, and lighter. Glue weighs a lot! If you read the fine print on their supposed floor guarantee...it's limited to twice the cost of the press board, no labor included. I strongly recommend installing a drip edge on the front where the diamond plate meets the underside of the floor. Run some water down the front and watch it roll onto the wood and wick up the staples into the wood. It's pathetic really. I don't care what anyone says, seal the underside and seal it often. The next time you tow in the rain, take a look underneath and you see exactly how wet it gets from the tires and the road spray.
The sofa was badly misaligned to the point where the upper drawer wouldn't open. It seems to be a common problem, just watch the online videos and you'll see more than one person struggle to get the drawer open.
The one thing Forest River does exceptionally well at is over-tightening and stripping out screws. You'll see. They are really great at misaligning things too.
It's the same old particle board cabinetry with the veneered photo paper finish and the stick construction, you're not going to find any aluminum in a highwall. Not sure if that's a bad thing.
At this point I guess you're wondering why I bought it.
Well if you want a big well equipped pop up, your choices are....Rockwood. All the others have merged or gone out of business.
It's a great unit, but don't expect it to be without issues. Be prepared to fix things. i don't care what rv you buy there are always going to be issues.
I know this site isn't affiliated Forest River, but I'll guarantee anytime someone types Forest River on social media, someone at corporate gets an email. Now if they care, that's another matter.

dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #2

We just bought a Hw277 for the same reason. Storage space while toting 4 granddaughters around. Boy do they want to bring Everything with them. My husband also noticed the water on the wood issue and we had our mechanic put it on the lift and under coated the entire bottom. Hoping to get many years out of this rare gem !!

Marge221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #3

I have a 2018 Rockwood Roo and have had issues. Just fixed a leak on my water heater outlet line. Well, I hopefully fixed it. Iíll find out on Thursday when I go camping.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotapa View Post
I have a 2018 Rockwood Roo and have had issues. Just fixed a leak on my water heater outlet line. Well, I hopefully fixed it. Iíll find out on Thursday when I go camping.
Good luck, I really love the new Roos, but they are a bit more than I felt comfortable towing with my Jeep Summit. Keep the tool box handy.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #5

All pop-ups and all RV's have construction issues. Overall, I've been pleased with my HW296. Mine is a 2017.

For me, I miss the quality of the beds I had in my old Coleman. It had c-channel reinforcements that made the beds extremely strong and inflexible, and the poles underneath were connected to the bed and didn't need to be stored. They attached to the frame and the result was a very secure, firm bed. My Rockwood has beds that sway and bow under out weight if you kneel on them. The poles are a nuisance to deal with too.
Coleman has been out of business a while now, I don't know why they don't take that bed and support pole design and adapt it to the Rockwood pop-ups.

Used the AC for the first time yesterday. Never thought I would use it here in Michigan, but it got hot. It worked really well, and the design allows the vents to blow the cold air clear into the bunk ends.

Interior LED lighting is a huge improvement over the old style. I could never see with those old lights. This camper has generous amounts of lighting and its LED. It also has many more electrical outlets. And the LED nightlights near the floor are perfect.
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood