Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

A frame jack

Just wondering if anybody has noticed how long it takes for A frame jacks to move up or down. Or maybe it's just the type i have that has small gear teeth. Do they make different size gearing for them. As a comparison my fold down boat trailer jack is so my faster and with a lot less cranking.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

different brands and models have gearing to lift different weights...

If you would rather not crank replace it with an electric model for about $100... check amazon...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #3

That's what i was wondering do they make ones with different crank ratios? i don't mind cranking especially if it means costing me $100.00 for a electric one. Trouble is i don't know what my crank ratio is. so may not be a good idea to go out and buy another one that is the same or worse!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

The thing about these jacks is if you're using a WDH, you're lifting up the weight of the tongue and rear of the truck. That's why you see ratings of 3500 & 4500 lbs when the actual tongue wt. is usually a small fraction of that. Electric is the way to go.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

I dont ever recall a crank ratio spec, but certainly there are 1,000# 2,000# and up capacities. This suggests that you either crank harder or crank more turns rather then less turns for larger capacities.

Have you thought about putting a few blocks of 2x6 under your crank end to reduce the crank time?

If you have a tongue mounted battery and use a WDHitch then certainly upgrade to an electric model... $100 - $150+ well spent.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I dont ever recall a crank ratio spec, but certainly there are 1,000# 2,000# and up capacities. This suggests that you either crank harder or crank more turns rather then less turns for larger capacities.

Have you thought about putting a few blocks of 2x6 under your crank end to reduce the crank time?

If you have a tongue mounted battery and use a WDHitch then certainly upgrade to an electric model... $100 - $150+ well spent.
Yes i have used blocks. they do save a lot of cracking. Just seems like it takes a lot of cranks for not much up or down movement, and i ain't getting younger. Anyway thanks for your help. I'll just keep what is designed for my camper. And like you suggested keep using we use plastic legos under the wheel.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #7

My last P/U had an electric front jack and it was nice. My new P/U has the manual crank and though it may sound strange, I find that after my shoulder surgery a few years ago, the manual crank is quite therapeutic for my shoulder with the cranking motion.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
My last P/U had an electric front jack and it was nice. My new P/U has the manual crank and though it may sound strange, I find that after my shoulder surgery a few years ago, the manual crank is quite therapeutic for my shoulder with the cranking motion.
Well heck backpacker you are just the sort of fellow i need on my next camping trip to spell me when my shoulder gives out from cranking. Been giving that job to the wife, but i get that look from her that's not all that nice

Tags
frame