Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #1

A212HW caster wheel - Need help!

I purchased a dual castor wheel from a reference on this forum. The wheel was a 6" 2" diameter wheel. I put it on, & if fit outside of my 1.5" diameter stand & seemed very unstable & loose.

Shouldn't the diameter fit inside the stand vs outside, like the stand it came with? I returned it since I didn't think it would last long.

Can anyone help??? I need a wheel, called forest river, they can't help at all since "they aren't in the business of caster wheels and can't recommend due to liability". I understand, totally.

Any advise here?
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
I purchased a dual castor wheel from a reference on this forum. The wheel was a 6" 2" diameter wheel. I put it on, & if fit outside of my 1.5" diameter stand & seemed very unstable & loose.

Shouldn't the diameter fit inside the stand vs outside, like the stand it came with? I returned it since I didn't think it would last long.

Can anyone help??? I need a wheel, called forest river, they can't help at all since "they aren't in the business of caster wheels and can't recommend due to liability". I understand, totally.

Any advise here?

First bit of advice is - don't put a wheel on your tongue jack. That's for small boats, not camper.
Beyond that, it's your choice, of course. I have a couple wheels laying down in the basement. I don't know offhand what the ID of the mount is, but I do recall they fit over the tube of the jack and are held on with a pin.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Could a moderator move this to the A-frame forum?

For the OP, I don't know why Forest River puts 1.5" tongue jacks on the A-frames instead of 2". On my A122, I had the 1.5", and it wasn't as sturdy as I would have liked.

On my new Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as Rockwood A213HW), the dealer (Robert's RV of Denver) had the factory replace the standard electric tongue jack with a nice 2" manual jack to avoid the issues the electric jacks have had. He does enough pop-up/A-frame business with Flagstaff that factory does custom alterations for him.

The 2" tongue jack will fit without alteration in place of the 1.5" jack, which is what I recommend you do. Also, if you get one that has the handle go in the vertical plane instead of horizontal, you won't be hitting your hands on the propane tank enclosure.

I use the wheel on my tongue jack to position the A-frame for storage in the garage, and use a 3/4" block of plywood between the shaft and a couple of Lego blocks when camping. But I carry the wheel with me in case I want to reposition the A-frame while camping. Even the new high wall model can be pushed/shoved single-handedly with the wheel on the tongue jack.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Could a moderator move this to the A-frame forum?

For the OP, I don't know why Forest River puts 1.5" tongue jacks on the A-frames instead of 2". On my A122, I had the 1.5", and it wasn't as sturdy as I would have liked.

On my new Flagstaff T21TBHW (same as Rockwood A213HW), the dealer (Robert's RV of Denver) had the factory replace the standard electric tongue jack with a nice 2" manual jack to avoid the issues the electric jacks have had. He does enough pop-up/A-frame business with Flagstaff that factory does custom alterations for him.

The 2" tongue jack will fit without alteration in place of the 1.5" jack, which is what I recommend you do. Also, if you get one that has the handle go in the vertical plane instead of horizontal, you won't be hitting your hands on the propane tank enclosure.

I use the wheel on my tongue jack to position the A-frame for storage in the garage, and use a 3/4" block of plywood between the shaft and a couple of Lego blocks when camping. But I carry the wheel with me in case I want to reposition the A-frame while camping. Even the new high wall model can be pushed/shoved single-handedly with the wheel on the tongue jack.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
I'm referrring to the wheel. The A212hw only comes with a stand but want to replace stand with wheel to maneuver around. The tube supporting stand is 1.5" inside diameter. So you're saying the single 2" wheel caster will be ok? Wasn't comfortable with the doublewheel-it was loose on jack & felt like it would just collapse if I pushed too hard.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Quote:

Any advise here?
Just have a machine shop make a bushing to adapt properly! Youroo! !
Old 09-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm referrring to the wheel. The A212hw only comes with a stand but want to replace stand with wheel to maneuver around. The tube supporting stand is 1.5" inside diameter. So you're saying the single 2" wheel caster will be ok? Wasn't comfortable with the doublewheel-it was loose on jack & felt like it would just collapse if I pushed too hard.
The wheel that came with my 1.5" jack was a lot looser than I liked. The 2" isn't remarkably tight, either. But it (the single wheel for the 1.5") worked and never broke. The wheel pipe was sturdier than the jack shaft so I thought the jack shaft bending was the most likely outcome. Never happened, even when I accidentally towed the bare shaft off the wood block by the safety chains at a campsite.

Fred W
then 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel