Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1

Access water pump in Flagstaff HW27KS or Rockwood HW277

Flagstaff HW27KS or Rockwood HW277 are the same units for the purposes of this discussion. I own the Flagstaff HW27KS

I have a small leak and am positive it is coming from the strainer on the 12V pump (I have seen this problem on other campers, there is a unique sound it makes to tip you off).

From what I can figure out based on tracing all the piping and where the water filter is located, is the water pump is on the floor behind the power converter. I can find no way to get to it. There is no outside access, this is no inside panel to remove. It almost looks like I have to remove the fridge on and then go in through the side.

Nothing in the manuals and my calls to FR have gone unreturned.

Anyone know exactly how to get to the pump on this model?
pgordemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

where you think the pump is ... is that also where your city water connection is and fw fill is on the outside ?

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

This is the first trailer I have ever owned that the Water Fill is on the Curb side (not the road or backside).

I have followed the piping at the water storage take and the fill for the water tank on the curbside goes in the tank on one side. The draw for the pump is on the other side and goes up into the floor behind the power converter.

I am 99.99% sure the pump is there, I just can gain access with out entirely removing the fridge and going in from the side wall, or totally pulling out the power converter. Neither makes sense.

I just put a call into my dealer (who I have a great relationship) and their top tech have not worked on this model before so can't tell without seeing it.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgordemer View Post
This is the first trailer I have ever owned that the Water Fill is on the Curb side (not the road or backside).

I have followed the piping at the water storage take and the fill for the water tank on the curbside goes in the tank on one side. The draw for the pump is on the other side and goes up into the floor behind the power converter.

I am 99.99% sure the pump is there, I just can gain access with out entirely removing the fridge and going in from the side wall, or totally pulling out the power converter. Neither makes sense.

I just put a call into my dealer (who I have a great relationship) and their top tech have not worked on this model before so can't tell without seeing it.
I doubt that its that hard to access. ...
But I've seen weirder things.
My flagstaff that I used to own had the wp behind a door that didn't open as it had hinges on both sides.
So you had to remove 4 screws off of the hinges to access wp in a 12" by 12" hole and what a pain!

Good luck and post up pics when you find it!
Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #5

To access, remove the bottom of the cabinet above the power convertor. Should be two big black screws going thru a piece of support wood and two small chrome screws that go directly into the bottom of the cabinet. That floor/shelf comes out but you have to be careful as you tilt it away from the water filter- seems to always bump into something!

Good time to remove the screen and clean it since you think that's where air is entering. Might be a good time to get a piece of those anti-fatigue of playroom mats and put a piece under the pump. Cuts down a little of the pump noise-vibration.

Oh yea- I recommend NOT to have any power going to the convertor while your in there with the nest of wires behind the convertor. And small hands are a plus too.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

You are the man, I saw the screws, but they were going to the sidewall, so I figured that was how the fake sidewall was being held against the cabinet.

I don't know what on earth they were thinking about putting a water filter (that you have to change) right above the electrical convertor. Even with bowls, towels and good tools water always seems to drip down.....

My experience with those pumps is when you hear them whistling, that either the screen is partially clogged or there is a hairline crack in the plastic cover that hold the screen on. Now hopefully they didn't do the stupid thing and mount the pump with the screen cover facing down. (My KZ travel trailer is like that and what a pain).
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Mine was mounted with the screen facing to the side so I just threw a towel down there and unscrewed it. Had to take mine apart because while boondocking, pump was having issues with air coming into the system. Cleaned the screen and doubled checked the connections and seemed good.

Oh yea- might want to look for one of those compact water filters now. Took me a while to find them at a reasonable price- 2 for $14 I think instead of one for $24! Think they were on eBay.

Just glad to get away
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

I figure while I am there, I am a wiz at pex plumbing and have all the tools, so I am just going to remove it.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Found it- rvwaterfilterstore.com

You want the 5" filters

Just glad to get away
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
daydreaming about camping

On our HW27SC the water pump and filter assembly were mounted behind the converter, which was easy to access as there was a bench seat above the converter. I think the difference is the bench seat on the SC model vs the KS model.

In any event, yes, truly ridiculous mounting putting all the water and electric together.

BTW - mine developed a crack in the elbow going to the water tank, I was able to find a brass replacement from Lowe's that worked with PEX tubing.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote