Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Air conditioner

I am looking at buying a high wall tent trailer. How well does air conditioning work in these. Do they hold a good temperature during hot weather?
JeffPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPhillips View Post
I am looking at buying a high wall tent trailer. How well does air conditioning work in these. Do they hold a good temperature during hot weather?
Depends on the climate you live in!
And how big the a/c unit is .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

We usually scurry to a cooler location when it gets hot out. I've run the a/c when we've opened it up for maintance and it seems adequate - about 100 out.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

When we had our pup we used Reflectix in the bunkend 'windows' and solar blankets on the tentend roofs. AC kept up very well. Here's a link to a popup forum you might be interested in.

PopUp Explorer - Index
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
We usually scurry to a cooler location when it gets hot out. I've run the a/c when we've opened it up for maintance and it seems adequate - about 100 out.
How do you like your rockwood tent trailer. I've been looking at them a lot lately. Between a jayco and rockwood I like the rockwood the best.
JeffPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

The number one thing to look for is where the fridge is in relation to the door. We picked one that was right across from the door which makes it a breeze to turn on the night before and to load in the morning. Many people I talk to dislike that they have to open up the trailer to turn it on and then wait- most bring extra coolers which defeats the reason for having the fridge.

We really like our high wall because it has a lot of space. Really large on the inside. Lots features that makes it a home. We bought it due to weight limits with our tow vehicle. Was towing with a Honda Pilot which towed fine until you were on a hill or at high altitude. Have a Tundra now and it's a much better pairing.

Let me know if you need some opinions

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

I've got a big high wall Jayco Cardinal SD (24' open, 14' box) with a 13,000 btu Coleman, and it works fine in the hottest of weather here in Michigan.

btw - it's for sale. It's a '93 that looks like new. Always stored indoors, owned since new. Nothing built today compares to the quality. Let me know if your interested - great value.
PM me if you're interested.

here's a pic.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

We used to have a Flagstaff HW27SC with the 13.5 BTU roof A/C unit. On two occasions we were in hot weather and it kept up...barely. In anything under 100/90 (degrees/humidity) it worked well. a little shade helps immensely. On one 4th of July weekend the temps were 100+ each day and the humidity was high. We were parked at our friends lake house in the driveway - so no trees around and sitting on concrete. The A/C kept the interior temps under 80 all day which felt very good.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #9

Love our Flagstaff HW29SC. Upgraded from a Coleman Sante Fe. Haven't been able to use the AC yet...
mattgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

We had a Coleman Plantation many years ago.The A/C worked fine, but it undoubtedly helped to park it in the shade.
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #11

Camping without A/C

We're in northwest NY state, and have a Flagstaff Pop Up 176LTD - no A/C. We are generally fine without A/C during summer around here, but are starting to plan summer camping in the mid-west or southwest (hopefully Grand Canyon). We will do some camping, some hotel stays, and visit friends. Anyone with experience in the South or Southwest without A/C... anything to look out for/plan for/avoid?
Thanks!
C
Grady Camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner