Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Anderson weight distribution

Have a HW276 and TV is a 2014 Explorer AWD so far we have not really needed a WDH but the DW thinks she would be able to tow the pup better and safer. Ive been looking at all the different kind and heard the horror stories when using the chain style, think a trunnionwould be safer but seen the anderson WDH and it was wondering if anyone else looked at it or even has it.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

Just looking at the picture, I would ask a couple of questions:

- how adjustable is the WDH? Setting them up for the correct height and tensioning of the chain is pretty important to get the weight distribution correct.

- I assume the chains have a quick release at the camper frame clamps. Undoing or screwing shackle screws every time is way too much work for me.

- the only anti-sway would be the rotational resistance of the chain connection plate under the ball. Is this designed to be anti-sway or just WDH?

I ended up with an Equal-i-zer 600/6000 which appears to be a quite a bit more adjustable. Because it uses spring bars which provide 4 point anti-sway as well as WDH, the location of the camper frame clamps is not nearly as critical, and can be moved a few inches either direction to avoid obstacles on the camper frame.

Mounting the spring bars is a simple matter of inserting them into the hitch - sprung retaining button in a slot holds them in place. Raise the tongue of the hitched camper with the tongue jack until the bars pivot into place. Insert retaining pins in the camper frame clamps, retract tongue jack and I'm good to go.

I have not tried other setups, but I am very happy with what I have. I would not want to tow my camper without it - I tested without in the dealer lot before taking delivery. Without the WDH, both camper and van "bounced" a lot even at 20-30 MPH. With WDH, the van rides normally even when hitched up. Good enough that DW feels comfortable driving the rig - was definitely NOT the case with our old Explorer and PUP (without WDH). Drives normal and no sway to 75MPH on I-25 (tested, but normally tow at 65 or less due to camper tires).

The Explorer was light in the front, which could be felt in the steering. And the rig would start to sway at 62MPH, scaring the DW on I-80 Sierra Mt downgrades.

Fred W
2014 A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Fred what im also concerned about is the weight of anything (bars.shank. ball ) I dont want to leave anything on my TV when not using the pup. I can only lift n carry with 1 hand due to a stroke.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #5

this is a video of the anderson wdh from youtube

http://youtu.be/HRoQ_yQZQwQ
Old 08-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

How does it work? The Equalizer and Reese seem to have bars that take the load. A chain cannot do that. It can only work in one direction - Pull.

I love my Equalizer as it also gives sway control.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

yeah vin i have watched the anderson video it looks like it can but not sure thats why i am hoping someone here has seen or use it. the proplem i have is the weight of the shank/ball i cant carry it 1 handed i dont think (not sure what it weights) i dont want to leave it on my TV all the time ( i like my wifes legs!)
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

Hi Kinma,

Are you talking about the weight of the equalizer shank/ball set up? Yes. the thing is crazy heavy. My TV sags once I put it into the hitch receiver.

Sorry about your arm/hand. It would not be easy for you at all. Unfortunately.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Yeah the shank/ball that you install on the truck that the bars go into. Bars are about 20lb or so. So not a big deal on those but that head part has to be about 50lbs or more. It might not be a big deal at home but if I wanted to take it iff any where else that might be hard or at least suck.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

Yeah. It is too heavy for one hand. Not sure what to recommend instead but this thing just looks wrong. I'll catch the video tomorrow and let you know if I see any major flaws.

Any reviews on the other forums? Maybe a google internet search will bring up other posts on the hitch.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
Jack of All Trades

Kinma:

I have one of these:

Amazon.com: HitchGrip HG712 Orange Hitch Coupling Tool: Automotive

Works pretty good. I can carry and install/remove the hitch bar with one hand, plus you don't get greasy from the ball

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Yeah the shank/ball that you install on the truck that the bars go into. Bars are about 20lb or so. So not a big deal on those but that head part has to be about 50lbs or more. It might not be a big deal at home but if I wanted to take it iff any where else that might be hard or at least suck.
Agreed, the Equl-i-zer hitch head (and most other makes I have seen) is too heavy to handle with just one hand.

Viewing the Anderson video - it looks like it will work for both sway and WDH. However, I don't know how you would easily hook up the system if the only quick release is on the ball. The other question I would have is whether or not the chains have to be tensioned at every hookup - the video shows tensioning with a wrench.

Obviously, the chains cannot be attached or detached while in their normal tension position (same with releasing the ball, I would think). I would want to see a video of hook-up and uncoupling of the Anderson to make sure those tasks are also doable with one hand.

If Anderson can give decent answers, it looks pretty workable to me.

Fred W
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #13

Fred ive youtubed the hitch and it looks like I would have to loosen the chains using the nut on the end then un pin at the ball everytime.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #14

Thank you for looking at it and commenting. Not sure I want to go through all that or just deal with the weight.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #15

You might want to take a close look (and ask questions about) Rick's solution in post #11. I have heard of others using this device with good results. I might even try it myself someday (other mods are more urgent as long as I am able to man-handle the hitch head).

Fred W
Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #16

I have the Andersen and works well for my TT. After hitching up, I raise everything with the electric jack until my chains can reach the plate. I then put in the screws by hand and lower the jack. If I happen to come in a slight angle with the truck I may have to loosen one of the chain tension nuts and bring it back after chain is attached to the plate. It has been quick and easy for me.

It is relatively light. I can carry it with one hand but easier with two. It is both weight distribution and anti-sway. It is also quiet, no squeeks and groans. My TT is just under 5000 lbs and works very well with it.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #17

We had one on our TT.A 2008 Outback 26 RBS.Heavy old pig.The hitch worked great.The only thing was I couldn't get all the weight back on the front.Other than that it worked well and that really wasn't a problem.It went with the TT when we traded up to a 5er this year.If I ever went back,I'd buy another Anderson.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #18

Greg if im reading and understanding you correctly you left the tension on the chains and lifted the tongue (using jack) then unhooks the chains at the plate?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #19

Greg can you just take the load off the chains (using jack) and just pull the pin and drop the plate?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Greg can you just take the load off the chains (using jack) and just pull the pin and drop the plate?

Screw tension needs to be released each time.

The head weighs about 30 lbs.

I think it works great for my TT (7500 & 900tw). But I do agree, it doesn't move enough weight on to my front axle. I'm thinking that you may have better luck with a lighter trailer.

Sway control works great too

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight