Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Anybody Change out their orignal Concertone radio for a new one?

I just bought this 2010 Rockwood HW296 and I'm having a problem with the Concertone radio in it.
When I try to turn the volume up or down it tries to load a DVD instead of turning up or down the volume.

Time to replace it with a new radio.
I went to Concertone's website they no longer make my Radio.
I have the model ZX75.

Here is the replacement radio it's the GT-2.0

This will be so easy four screws under the side covers on either side of the radio. I'll post pics or a vide of the whole process beginning to end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zx50gal.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	86929   Click image for larger version

Name:	gt2pg.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	86930  
Cowboy6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Did you buy your coach "as is". When I bought the Wildcat it had an older unit that didn't work and I caught it on the inspection. I mentioned it and the dealer replaced it no questions with the latest version 3.0. I installed it because I wanted it done right.

Whether they cover it or not, to me it is worth it. I love being able to connect via Bluetooth and listen to my music selectively where ever I want. It plays DVDS too but I'm not much on movies. Also the LCD TV plugged in via HDMI plug. There was some figuring to do with wiring but there is a wire schematic on the unit so it wasn't too bad. No cutting or trimming either, put it in the hole and screwed it in.

Sometimes Concertone will have refurbished units at a lower price.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Did you buy your coach "as is". When I bought the Wildcat it had an older unit that didn't work and I caught it on the inspection. I mentioned it and the dealer replaced it no questions with the latest version 3.0. I installed it because I wanted it done right.

Whether they cover it or not, to me it is worth it. I love being able to connect via Bluetooth and listen to my music selectively where ever I want. It plays DVDS too but I'm not much on movies. Also the LCD TV plugged in via HDMI plug. There was some figuring to do with wiring but there is a wire schematic on the unit so it wasn't too bad. No cutting or trimming either, put it in the hole and screwed it in.

Sometimes Concertone will have refurbished units at a lower price.
Yes I bought it as is in Vermont, so I have to pay for the replacement for my ��, the replacement is the GT-2.0.
The nice thing is like you said is Bluetooth, so I can listen to my music on my WP which will be fantastic.
I will get the radio soon and install it myself, I used to own a car stereo business so no issues here.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy6201 View Post
Yes I bought it as is in Vermont, so I have to pay for the replacement for my ��, the replacement is the GT-2.0.
The nice thing is like you said is Bluetooth, so I can listen to my music on my WP which will be fantastic.
I will get the radio soon and install it myself, I used to own a car stereo business so no issues here.
If you get it, one thing to remember is your phone calls will go through it too. Good in some cases, bad in others like if you're outside. On my phone though it's easy to switch off Bluetooth when accepting a call.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

A couple of years ago my radio went out, and I replaced it with a standard car radio. Wasn't too hard; I just had to make a new panel of plywood to mount it in. I finished the plywood to match the surrounding cabinets and it looks like a factory job.
RVBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #6

You are right. Many models are discontinued including my RV2004DS. Their site shows replacement models, but are $$$$. I was thinking of trying a more generic brand available at local electronic stores at a more affordable price.
stuart38npb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart38npb View Post
You are right. Many models are discontinued including my RV2004DS. Their site shows replacement models, but are $$$$. I was thinking of trying a more generic brand available at local electronic stores at a more affordable price.
Yes, but my only option is the Concertone replacement because of where mine is mounted, it on the side of the stove just inside the door, so I have to get the replacement.
My replacement is $400, to me that's not bad, I even have the factory 15" TV that came with the camper when it was new.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

Have you checked out IRV radio. I believe they have a direct replacement for your Concertone. Ed
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
Have you checked out IRV radio. I believe they have a direct replacement for your Concertone. Ed
No thanks ED I will check it out.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #10

If you decide to go with a Jensen be aware that there is no output for the subwoofer. The Jensen adapter connector that comes with the unit had the subwoofer wired to the C speakers which is the outdoor speakers on my 5th. S

So the only way to get the sub to work was to to have the outside speakers on. Not good for the neighbours. The dealer is rewiring the sub to either the A or B speakers. Below is the email I got from ASA who are the distributors for Jensen.

Thanks for contacting ASA Electronics. The AWM965 does not have a dedicated subwoofer output, it sounds like they wired the subwoofer in with the "C" speakers. This is the only way to connect a subwoofer to this model the only thing that can be changed is the speaker selection the speakers are wired to but there is no way around the other speakers on the same channel unless the other speakers are not connected. I hope that makes sense! Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Best Regards,
Technical Service, 131
ASA Electronics

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
If you decide to go with a Jensen be aware that there is no output for the subwoofer. The Jensen adapter connector that comes with the unit had the subwoofer wired to the C speakers which is the outdoor speakers on my 5th. S

So the only way to get the sub to work was to to have the outside speakers on. Not good for the neighbours. The dealer is rewiring the sub to either the A or B speakers. Below is the email I got from ASA who are the distributors for Jensen.

Thanks for contacting ASA Electronics. The AWM965 does not have a dedicated subwoofer output, it sounds like they wired the subwoofer in with the "C" speakers. This is the only way to connect a subwoofer to this model the only thing that can be changed is the speaker selection the speakers are wired to but there is no way around the other speakers on the same channel unless the other speakers are not connected. I hope that makes sense! Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Best Regards,
Technical Service, 131
ASA Electronics

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna stick with the replacement radio for my Concertone there won't be no issues doing that.
See the space in the back of the radio is close to me stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150826_20_13_12_Pro.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	87061   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150826_20_13_34_Pro.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	87062  
Old 08-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #12

Thats why they call them "Concerjunk"! I replace mine in my old trailer with a Jensen. Much better unit and fit in the same hole. The new Jensens have Blue tooth now! Concertones are over rated and crap.
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concertone, radio