Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Anybody change their single step to a dual step?

Has anybody changed their single step up in to the camper to a dual step, like the new Rockwood's already have.
Mine is a 2010 HW 296 with a single step.
Any modifications need to done to bolt it to the frame?

Also gonna add a grab bar like the new Rockwood's have.
Cowboy6201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

Yea I changed mine to a double step. Had to make a few changes. Front 2 bolts almost lined up, but not quite. Had to drill another hole about 2" over. No biggie with that. The big adjustment was with the back 2 holes. The step I bought only went back about half way, and would not reach my camper frame. So I bought some flat stock to span the camper frame rails, and bolted the step to the flat stock. The other thing I found was that the(and this just me, my wife didn't have a problem) step down from my camper to the new step is now almost 11", and the bottom step is only about 3" off the ground. So what I did was, and this is hard to explain, I took the new step and only pulled it out part ways so now the top step is positioned at about 7 or 8"" down. Then I drilled 2 holes in the new frame of the step and slid some round stock all the way across keeping the step from going down. Now my top step is about 8" down and the bottom step is about 6" off the ground. When it comes time to fold up the step I just pull out the round stock. Probably this all could have been avoided if I had bought a step that would have fit better. I bought a Hickory Springs unit. It gave me something to do for the day.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire joe View Post
Yea I changed mine to a double step. Had to make a few changes. Front 2 bolts almost lined up, but not quite. Had to drill another hole about 2" over. No biggie with that. The big adjustment was with the back 2 holes. The step I bought only went back about half way, and would not reach my camper frame. So I bought some flat stock to span the camper frame rails, and bolted the step to the flat stock. The other thing I found was that the(and this just me, my wife didn't have a problem) step down from my camper to the new step is now almost 11", and the bottom step is only about 3" off the ground. So what I did was, and this is hard to explain, I took the new step and only pulled it out part ways so now the top step is positioned at about 7 or 8"" down. Then I drilled 2 holes in the new frame of the step and slid some round stock all the way across keeping the step from going down. Now my top step is about 8" down and the bottom step is about 6" off the ground. When it comes time to fold up the step I just pull out the round stock. Probably this all could have been avoided if I had bought a step that would have fit better. I bought a Hickory Springs unit. It gave me something to do for the day.
I wonder if I get an original step for a brand new Rockwood and maybe the holes will line up?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy6201 View Post
I wonder if I get an original step for a brand new Rockwood and maybe the holes will line up?
Yea they most likely will. I didn't know Rockwood sold 2 step units when I bought mine this spring.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Ugh, that single step! We were irritated with our new 2014 206st single step--the bottom step was Way Too High off the ground. So I bought a double-step assembly to replace the single. Elkhart is the OEM for our Flagstaff step, so I went with them but it still wasn't a perfect match. Side-to-side fit well enough, just drill a new hole since the new assembly's a bit wider. Front-to-back is more of a problem, as Campfire Joe noted. The framing for the new steps didn't go far enough in to bolt to the frame. Hmmm....but the single step-frame did. So I cut off the single-step side plates at the groove where dowel fits, and had those plates tack-welded to sides of the new double. Now all is perfect! The floor-to-step-to-step-to ground is evenly spaced (if the pup is on relatively flat ground). Here's a link to elkhart: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCX43W/...332200_TE_item
Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire joe View Post
Yea they most likely will. I didn't know Rockwood sold 2 step units when I bought mine this spring.
Yes look at the new Rockwood's they all come with dual step's, so I figure if I get a step from a brand new Rockwood it should fit, as long as they did change the bolt hole config.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyHamper View Post
Ugh, that single step! We were irritated with our new 2014 206st single step--the bottom step was Way Too High off the ground. So I bought a double-step assembly to replace the single. Elkhart is the OEM for our Flagstaff step, so I went with them but it still wasn't a perfect match. Side-to-side fit well enough, just drill a new hole since the new assembly's a bit wider. Front-to-back is more of a problem, as Campfire Joe noted. The framing for the new steps didn't go far enough in to bolt to the frame. Hmmm....but the single step-frame did. So I cut off the single-step side plates at the groove where dowel fits, and had those plates tack-welded to sides of the new double. Now all is perfect! The floor-to-step-to-step-to ground is evenly spaced (if the pup is on relatively flat ground). Here's a link to elkhart: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCX43W/...332200_TE_item
You should have tried getting a step right from FR, the steps on the new Flagstaff are probably dual step like the new Rockwood's do.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice Cowboy, but our new flagstaff came with an Elkhart single step. That's where FR gets them, and that single step is still OEM for 2015. Elkhart has dimensions of all products right on their website. I wouldn't go to FR to get elkhart's specs, no need for that middleman.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyHamper View Post
Thanks for the advice Cowboy, but our new flagstaff came with an Elkhart single step. That's where FR gets them, and that single step is still OEM for 2015. Elkhart has dimensions of all products right on their website. I wouldn't go to FR to get elkhart's specs, no need for that middleman.
The new Rockwood HW277 & 296 come with a dual step that's what I'm thinking of trying maybe the bolt holes will be the same?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #10

I am considering this, but i need to measure things
I just did an Axle Spacer and raised the unit 3 inches
my stock step is now 3 inches higher
I see that in the single step, there are options for a 5.25 drop, a 7.25 drop and and 8 inch drop.
I think if i go with the 7.25 single I could get back 2 inches out of the 3 and not deal with too much of an issue with the height of the first step if i went to a double step setup

that issue being the first step maybe 1 inch off the ground and that's just odd

I did measure I have 15 inches between the step in the raised position and the ground, and the ground

so my 5.25 drop means the step will be 9.75 off the ground If i do the other 7.25 drop, it would be 7.75, if i do a double step, that first step will be 2,5 inches off the ground and just weird...
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote