Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Anyone measure average kW usage per day?

I've got a Flagstaff Mac 228 and am trying to figure out if I can justify getting a portable solar system. Can anyone provide average kW usage per day? I know I can use a calculator but I want to get a general sense of usage.
sallystrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #2

A lot depends on you and the way you camp. How long will the heater run during the night?

There is a sticky thread in the A-frame section that lists current draws of most stuff in an A-frame or PUP.

I did not want to deal with solar panels in Colorado winds. I also did not want to deal with the space, weight, and gas of a generator.

But I did want to dry camp for up to 4 days/nights, so I needed to figure how much battery capacity I would need. The heater fan is the big draw at 4 amps. So I assumed up to 5hrs run time, which gives 20AH per day. I set the thermostat to 56 on a cold night. A-frames are better insulated, and have about 1/3 the interior volume of a PUP, so the 5hrs is valid (for us) with night temps in the high 20s and day temps in the 40s (worst case). The CO/propane detector at 250 milliamps sucks another 6AH per day. We use flashlights more than we use interior LED lights. So our worst/best case is 26AH per day. More typical when heaters are used is 30-40AH per day from what I have seen posted.

Result for us is dual 6V golf cart batteries rated at 232AH each. This gives 116AH usable without recharging.

High wall units that have thermostatic control fridges have a DC control board that will add to the daily load.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. Most trips will probably be 4 days but some will be 7-8 days. As for the wind, I thought about attaching some snaps to the roof so the portable system can be snapped down and not blow away.
sallystrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallystrothers View Post
Thanks for the information. Most trips will probably be 4 days but some will be 7-8 days. As for the wind, I thought about attaching some snaps to the roof so the portable system can be snapped down and not blow away.

Don't forget you also have flexible panels (and lighter) that can be glued down for a slightly higher price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I think Renology just recalled the flexy panels due to some over heating issues.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I think Renology just recalled the flexy panels due to some over heating issues.

Thank you very much for this. I have 4 sitting in the garage for that last year waiting to be installed. Considering the detailed data mining that Amazon does on its customers, a courtesy email would have been nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote