Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Anything else I need to do after the initial purchase???

We just purchased a new Rockwood last weekend. There were 2 warranty cards to fill out for components. We did that. Anything else other than set up some insurance? Going to call Rockwood and make sure all the warranty paperwork has been turned in by the dealer.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

You might want to get the 2nd yr extended warranty for $150. If the dealer didn't give you the paperwork, you can find it in the Library here on the forum.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You might want to get the 2nd yr extended warranty for $150. If the dealer didn't give you the paperwork, you can find it in the Library here on the forum.
Get the 2nd year of warranty.

Go camping for a night or two in the driveway, or a nearby park. Try everything you can to make sure it works.

If you are like most people, you will need mattress toppers to be able to sleep at night. With the top down, try to get an idea of how much space you have between the bed and the ceiling. This will limit the thickness of the mattress topper.

The other mod you will want soon is a battery disconnect. Even a pop-up has a surprising amount of parasitic loads that will drain and ruin your battery in a couple of weeks while it sits waiting for you to go camping. When you store the pup between trips, throwing the disconnect is a lot easier than unbolting the battery cable. I learned the need for a disconnect the hard way - it cost me a replacement battery after the first winter.

At a very minimum, you will want a hose and fittings that connects your sink drain on the outside of the camper to a bucket underneath the camper. Many people use something more fancy. Never mind if you have a model with a gray water tank.

Other things you will need (hopefully included in a "dealer accessory package"):

- assuming you have a 30 amp shore cable, adapters to plug into 15/20 amp and 50 amp outlets
- a hose to connect to city water and/or fill your water tank
- pressure regulator for when you hook up to city water
- depending on toilet type (I'm assuming a porta-potty), toilet chemicals
- unless you plan on using wood blocks from home, a set of the orange Leveler (Lego) blocks to level the camper side to side is the cheapest and lightest method
- some kind of level to level to - I use a stick-on level mounted to the front of the camper for side-to-side, and use a carpenter's level on the roof for fore-and-aft.
- 4 wheel chocks. I use the plastic variety from Walmart for my A-frame pop-up.
- socket, long enough wrench handle or breaker bar to fit your camper lug nuts. Also a jack that will fit under the camper and lift enough to change a tire (my minivan scissors jack is adequate in my case).
- tire pressure gauge. I inflate my tires to full sidewall pressure before each trip.

Depending on the state, you will have to register and get a license plate for the PUP. A trip to DMV with the title and/or dealer paperwork is usually required.

That's really the minimum to get started. Make lists of what you really want or need, but don't have for the first year. Also, keep track of what breaks or doesn't work for your warranty. Finally, after a couple of trips, take out stuff you don't use on a trip. For us, we removed the RV-Que and mount (I don't like BBQing against the side of the camper, and I can find much better portable table-top grills) and the porta-potty (we just use campground facilities).

hope this helps
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

you might need a trailer plate as well?

and start shopping! Budget about 1-2k for trailer/camping accessories.
Milk_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Check your coach batteries for proper water levels. Batteries are not covered under your warranty. I bought brand new forester 3051S and our batteries were not holding a charge for long. I opened up the caps and I could see metal no water almost bone dry . had to buy new batteries. Dealer said user maintenance

Having fun in our Forester Gump (2015 3051S forester)
gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #6

Go camping.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo98 View Post
Check your coach batteries for proper water levels. Batteries are not covered under your warranty. I bought brand new forester 3051S and our batteries were not holding a charge for long. I opened up the caps and I could see metal no water almost bone dry . had to buy new batteries. Dealer said user maintenance
Batteries are covered under warranty.. usually the battery mfg.. Just got new batteries for my 2017 Rockwood under warranty.. Interstate batteries both failed in a few months.. Switched to 6 volt golf cart batteries.(wire them in series).. much better option.
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Ideas that save money and stress!

No matter how well you believe you were walked through everything, it is always too fast! Make the person walk through a second time before you take it home! Have a list of questions with you! Go through your own set up and close by yourself on the lot to make sure all is really working!
Take out a solid extended warranty and make sure it will be honored by your dealer's service department!
Happy Camping!
Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Go camping.
+1
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #10

Keep a pocket full of money for accessories and start saving for your next unit. ��
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
Ham Call N8SAC

I you just got a pop up . Remember to go as light as possible don't Carry any more than you have to. Only take what you need.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #12

yes 1 more thing read the complete manual front to back,also look around o/l to see if anymore lit avail for your rig
santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell D Pratt View Post
I you just got a pop up . Remember to go as light as possible don't Carry any more than you have to. Only take what you need.

2 pair of dities, an extra pair of socks, a couple tee shirts and a pair of pants. 1/2 roll of TP (single ply only) and a used bar of soap (used bars are lighter).
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Might be the times or the price of our rig, but 12 months ago on 6-1-16 our second year warranty was about $225..

After several warranty fixes, I have come to the conclusion that anything short of structural repair, you are better off to do it yourself and have it right the first time and save having to do it twice, but still just incase of something big that I am not equipped to do it is $225 worth of comfort for my next 12 months to have that factory backup.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
2 pair of dities, an extra pair of socks, a couple tee shirts and a pair of pants. 1/2 roll of TP (single ply only) and a used bar of soap (used bars are lighter).
AND a tube of Dicor, a roll of eternabond tape, duct tape. Oh hell and BEER.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 AM   #16
Site Team

Since the OP owns a popup and posted it in the Popup sub-forum, none of the 2nd year warranty costs posted are correct.

The cost for Popups and A-frames is only $100.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:22 AM   #17

Keys, keys, keys

I'm not sure what the dealer gave you, but I would have three sets of keys. Keep one set at home permanently as a master set. Keep one set in your TV, and the third set as the set you use while camping. You'll be surprised how many times you feel fort them in your pocket only to realize they're hanging in a storage door lock or on the ground.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #18

Thanks guys or gals. I've done a lot of the stuff noted. Boy I probably have a grand in secondary costs. We slept on the mattresses and they are good. Still have to purchase a bike rack. Ouch! In 5 weeks we will be taking the pop up from CA to Colorado for 2 weeks. I have a second battery and I probably have a disconnect Switch somewhere. I also have a few old and unused solar panels and would just need the converter. The hardest part is arranging the camper items.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #19

I thought about making my second set hidden under the camper but a third set is a good idea.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell D Pratt View Post
Maybe I could have you talk to my wife! I will be traveling light!