Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #11

Hi Bean,

I`ll keep you up to date for sure. Are these size campers popular over there? The kind of camper we have and ones similar to the 625D / 425D are the most popular for families here. It`s usually only retirees who have RVs, the rest of us camp as simply as possible!!!

Robyn

Aussie Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Rob
As we hope to be on the road for about two years we thought it would be handy to have the extra storage space.

Do you use your inside shower? Frank thinks he would end up with water all over the place, another reason we chose the 425D.

Wish we could order it but have to tie up a few loose ends first.

Robyn.
We have used the shower. ... Very handy

Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Rob View Post
Hi Bean,

I`ll keep you up to date for sure. Are these size campers popular over there? The kind of camper we have and ones similar to the 625D / 425D are the most popular for families here. It`s usually only retirees who have RVs, the rest of us camp as simply as possible!!!

Robyn
popups or tent trailers are very popular with young families/couples.
but not nearly as popular as travel trailers(caravans).
popups are probably less popular than motorhomes, 5th wheels and travel trailers.
most start off with popups as a cheaper way to get into RV'ing. but most end up going bigger to the other types of RVs.

we owned two popups over a 17 year period until we got our hybrid TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #14

Very interesting about the popularity of various campers.
There are over 150 manufacturers of soft floor / hardfloor campertrailers in Aust. popular with young and old. A lot of oldies buy off road hard floor or crossover campers to travel the Outback.

The pop ups or fold downs are becoming more popular with families and are made by caravan manufacturers and there are around 40 of these. There are a large range of caravans available, nearly 400,000 registered,
Campertrailers are registered as box trailers.

MotorHomes are popular with retirees and overseas travellers and the large ones are built by Winnebago.

Last on the list are 5th Wheelers, we only have a couple of manufacturers, they are becoming more popular but we don`t have resorts for them.

We seem to like getting back to basics when we camp, where you seem to like your home comforts. It doesn`t matter how we do it as long we`re out there enjoying what our countries have to offer.

Happy Camping,
Robyn.
Aussie Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Robyn,
There is not a lot of camping "in the wild" here. At least not in my area.

I think most people in Aust maybe don't have a big truck to pull a large camper ?

When we have gone camping there is usually about 30 to 40 campers and maybe only 1 or 2 other pop-ups besides ours. When we went to large RV show in Hershey PA there were about 1000 RVs there and only about 12 pop-ups.

We are currently looking at travel trailers. Mainly because we can't store anything in the camper when it is down. It is a pain to have to open it just to put stuff in it. Heck you can't even open the fridge without opening it up. The other reason is that if it is raining when we leave, then we have open it up again at home to let it dry out.

Also it would be nice to have hard walls for the toilet. I don't mind "going" with my wife and son in the trailer, but if the in-laws or friends are along, it's kind of embarassing. Also the lack of a graywater tank kind of sucks.

So far we haven't really liked any travel trailer we've looked at. I don't know why they don't make a travel trailer with the same layout as a pop-up ? About 24' foot long with queen beds at each end.

Bean
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
I don't know why they don't make a travel trailer with the same layout as a pop-up ? About 24' foot long with queen beds at each end.

Bean

have you looked at any TraiManor trailers?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote