Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #11

Any chance you can post a picture? Or what model and what year? I've seen some pretty old trailers and they still usually attach at the bottom

Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #12

Here's a pic of the hard side of the trailer. First - lets be clear - I'm not "handy" or "technical" so please excuse my naming of the various parts of the trailer ( I'm in finance - this stuff is rocket science for me ).
There are the 2 things that you use to hold the top of the trailer down when closing the thing up on either side. Theres the electrical outlet on the left just above the slide on thingy for the bbq.

That's it. We've been just propping up the bottom of the awning bars against the arms that lift the roof up. Just above the hard part of the trailer...it's behind the canvas stuff - you can't really see them in this photo.

That just doesn't seem correct to me.

And it's a 2011 Flagstaff 227 - we bought it last spring.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyccarla View Post
The awning is rolled up at the top of the camper. Rainy camping day last weekend
Went back and read between the lines and having seen your pic brings back a important memory. The way you expressed it, seems the tarp comes out with no support except for the hinged legs. Picture the tarp out taunt and the poles extend to ground. There are should also be two poles rolled up in the zippered bag that wedge between the camper roof and the awning pole. That makes a "roof" to keep you out of light rain.

Hope that helps.....
Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #14

Sorry! I wasn't thinking pop-up. Pretty much what Vince said.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #15

My apologies - I'm not explaining myself well. The awning is attached to the camper and then there are poles that come out on either side of the awning - and also a set that fold out and either sit on ground or lean against the camper. It does look similar to the awning picture that f1100turbo posted near the beginning of this string. ( except much smaller and on a pop up ).

Maybe I better trade in the mini-van for a truck and get a bigger camper.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #16

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2459394942.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	16671

If you can see it, this pic shows the poles running from the awning back to the roof
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

Thats totally it. So - the pole on the bottom - by the hard part of the trailer. Are they just leaning against the trailer or is there a proper thing that they hook into there?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

I used an awning on my pop-up (Coleman) for 14 years. The awning poles 'stand' on the ground, just about perpendicular to the awning--with the attached rope extended out and staked in the ground to secure. I also used a 'tie-down' that had a 'web' type strap--it staked in the ground, went up and over the distal portion of the awning, and then was staked in the ground on the opposite side--and I never worried about the wind knocking it down.

************Just saw your more recent post, and see that your awning is entirely different*********
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #19

I was going to say what Sugar did. A lot of times the poles have to go straight up and down in the dirt, you can put them at a little angle so the awning has some slope to it. Then run the tether cords to some stakes in the ground.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for comments - my first time posting here and the response is great. I prefer to put the poles against the camper somehow. We can put them in the ground with guide wires but that results in kids (5 & 9 ) and me tripping over them - so we likely just won't use it.

Tags
awning