Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Awning - major headache

I and my partner recently - 4wks - purchased a Forest River Freedom 2318G. We didn't initially get walk-thru about how the awning should work, nor paperwork for the awning of any kind. After watching the
enclosed video 9 times we still can't get it to work; properly. Appears the awning support rods and the bottom, or ground support, rods installed incorrectly. The rod that you can lock into place has capped ends, which we were shown attach to top bracket. The support legs; either to the ground or bottom brackets cause the awning fabric to stretch tightly over a sharp edge of the cap, thus we are using these legs only as ground support. Does anyone know how to get a diagram of how this awning unit
should work; have another appointment with dealer 2 wks but hour
plus drive over there is getting ridiculous. HELP!!!!
LexiLady51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiLady51 View Post
I and my partner recently - 4wks - purchased a Forest River Freedom 2318G. We didn't initially get walk-thru about how the awning should work, nor paperwork for the awning of any kind. After watching the
enclosed video 9 times we still can't get it to work; properly. Appears the awning support rods and the bottom, or ground support, rods installed incorrectly. The rod that you can lock into place has capped ends, which we were shown attach to top bracket. The support legs; either to the ground or bottom brackets cause the awning fabric to stretch tightly over a sharp edge of the cap, thus we are using these legs only as ground support. Does anyone know how to get a diagram of how this awning unit
should work; have another appointment with dealer 2 wks but hour
plus drive over there is getting ridiculous. HELP!!!!
No video
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

dvd received with trailer info shows how to work awning, but ours does not work that way. took photos of issues on trip we just returned from yesterday.
LexiLady51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiLady51
dvd received with trailer info shows how to work awning, but ours does not work that way. took photos of issues on trip we just returned from yesterday.
Make and model of awning would help tremendously.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Make and model of awning would help tremendously.
Ron
And maybe a few pictures. You kinda got us flying blind.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Site Team

the OP has a popup, therefore her awning is different than other RV awnings.
i'll move the thread to the Popup section, where other popup owners can help her with it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

If the awning is like the one I had on my Palomino PUP P2100. It works two different ways. One set of rods can be used to attach it to the trailer alone, they have the round end, the other can be used to use them straight up and down, and secure with pegs at the bottom. The main thing is to unroll it before you go all the way up with the top. Trust me...I have done it several times.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #8

I also have a 2318G. I'll describe how my awning works. I use this method after the popup is all set up. Hope this helps.

After unrolling the awning, fold out the support rods that have rubber tips on them. As the awning is hanging from the popup, extend these rods so they are long enough so you can insert the rubber tipped end into the nylon loops located at the ends and inside the awning bag. Get these rods fairly tight so they take up the slack of the awning. This is all done while the awning is just hanging straight down from the top of the popup. You have to sneak between the awning and the popup to get at the support rods.

Then fold out the rods that have the pivoting end piece on them. These are the rods that either insert into anchors on the side if the popup or extend down to the ground. After you have either attached them to the popup or to the ground, you can fine tune the length of the rods with the rubber tips to take any slack out of the awning fabric.

You can also use the same method prior to raising the popup roof on initial set up at your site. Just adjust the rod height extending to the ground after you raise the roof. I find it's just as easy to set up the awning after the popup is all set up tho
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
TeresaInCAL

Check You Tube, believe it or not there are some wonderful "How to" videos!
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
Check You Tube, believe it or not there are some wonderful "How to" videos!
as i stated in Post #6, the OP has a Popup, which don't have awnings, like the one in the video and on other types of RV's.

this one is done by a member of Canvas Campers:

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
TeresaInCAL

Sorry, my bad...just trying to help.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Awning fix

Our new palomino was the same way, you have to slide the alum. bar out of the chennel and turn it around ,then slide back in ,our dealer came out to our house, it took about 5 mintus to fix good luck
moszerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #13

Ours came from the dealer with the awning attached upside down. That may be your problem. Easy to fix, though.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2318g, awning, diagram