Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Axle and springs

I have a flagstaff 228. I took my tires off to check my bearings. After inspecting the wheel well, I'm rubbing on the back half. It wore a hole in the plastic wheel well. My GVWR is close to 3100 lb. My axle is rated for 2750 lb and I have 3 bar leaf springs. Springs under axle. The tires are wore and ST 185/80R13. The sticker on the frame says ST 175/80R13. I'm not sure if I'm rubbing because my tires are bigger than recommended or because the axle and springs are at max. At the weigh scales I'm 2500 - 2800 on the axles.

I am going back to stock size tires and wondering if I should put 3,500 lb springs on my axle? Will this cause the axle to flex more because the springs are stiff? What about leaving the stock springs and just changing the shackles so they are 1" longer? Will that give me more clearance?

Also, I do need new bearings. The races have no lip to punch them out. Can I reuse the races, or do they have to "match" the new bearing? Or do I have to buy a new hub also?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
You do not have to replace the cups when replacing the cones provided that they are in good shape and have no scoring or nicks but I have always considered it good practice to do so.

Maybe try to cut a notch with a Dremel tool or small grinder behind the cup to allow a punch to knock them out. Whenever replacing cups it is critical that there be no raised area where the back of the cup.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

I'm having the same problem on my 2318 G same specs as yours I think I'm going to put on 4 leave rated at 3500 pounds what did you end up doing to yours to fix your rubbing issue my tire size is 175 8013
Old 02-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

I ended up switching the 3 leaf springs out with 4 leaf 3500 lb springs, and then welded new axle perches on, and "flipped" the axle. I gained about 5 inches. I plan on upgrading the tires to ST205/75R14.

Just be cautious if you are towing with a unibody suv. (sits low). My hitch on my trailer is now 26" off the ground. You'll need a large rise ball mount or a truck or truck based suv.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

Do you remember how much just adding the springs lifted it would that work I really don't want to flip the axles and does it bounce a lot now

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

I did it all at the same time, so I don't know how much just the springs did. Measuring the old and new springs looked to me like it would of gave next to no lift. There would be less bounce with upgraded springs though.

I don't know how it pulls as its winter here and I won't be pulling the trailer for another 4 or 5 months.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Thanks have fun camping

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app