Old 10-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Bag awning

Forest river needs to figure out how to install a roll up awning on their highwall pups. You can't roll the bag awnings up in bad weather. The pups are toooo tall. But love my highwall just not the awning. Come on FR starcraft did it in 2008. I know you prolly could but if the people don't relate the arms b4 raising the top it would tear something up, maybe that why starcraft stopped!

Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #2

I hear you on that one. We bought a 3 step Cosco folding step stool from Walmart. We have used it several times to get the awning in before a storm.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #3

We have one but I can't climb ladders and the wife's not strong enough to tie it up. We tie our awning down but just the other night the brackets where the poles meet the front rail broke and now the awnings junk. But the plus side NO DAMAGE TO PUP.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #4

Those brackets are paper thin and bend easily. They really are junk.

I should have mentioned we also use the site picnic table on one end and the step stool on the other end of the awning. We roll together, tie the ends, then I tie the middle.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

I installed a bag awning on my Ole Toyhouse:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/in...ll-bag-awning/

When rolling to awning, its almost impossible to tie the straps while hold the rolled up awning, so we sewed foot long Valcro straps in place of the tie straps. One person can now roll up the awning, strap it, and zip the bag.

To reach the awning, we bought a heavy duty step stool ($30 from Harbor Freight) The step stool doubles as a nice small outside end table while sitting under the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF_StepStool.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	122118  
Old 10-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

I love the Velcro idea! Did you sew it to the tie straps or separately?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

We sewed 1/2 inch wide Valcro to the existing tie straps. Use 6 inch long hook on the bottom strap and 6-9 inch loop on the top strap. Then cut the rest of the strap off.

After rolling up, you can hold the roll and the bottom valcro in place with one hand, and connect the top Valcro to the bottom Valcro with the other.

ALSO - I found a couple very heavy steel plates (railroad tie metal plates) and welded a 1 inch pipe fitting in the middle of the plate. I drilled a couple 3/8 holes in the pipe fittings so a small hook could be inserted in the pipe fitting.

These act as the feet pads for the awning poles The awning poles rest inside the pipe fitting, then I use a small ratchet strap to tie the plate to the awning. There's no way wind will pick up the awning and the two metal plates (they weigh about 30-40 lbs each)

I'll see if I have photos of the plates...
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Lost in time

I just installed a Carefree 'Camp Out' on my truck camper Palomino SS 1500.

The camper is pretty high on the truck, even down so a 'stool' won't work (can't reach the awning to deploy it anyway). My wife bought a retractable aluminum ladder from Walmart that dies the trick.

I had a Carefree on my Lance so I knew it was a well built and easy to set up awning, with excellent extruded aluminum, telescoping rafters and legs and the camper attachment points were cast aluminum brackets and stout.

The issue was price. The Carefree's are quite a bit more expensive than the other brands but I found that RV Country had some great prices so I bought one.

Forest River provides a full length awning rail on the right side of the Backpack so I sprayed on some silicone spray and slid the awning in (went in like hot butter on a slice of toast and following the instructions, attached the brackets to the camper side (must be in line with the sewn in rafter loops on the backside of the bag when positioned in the desired spot in the rail and level to the camper body.

I measured down from the rail at 2 down points at each end on the camper (in my case 56" and then snapped a chalk line across the points. I set the awning in the position I wanted it and use a plumb bob, (camper must be level front to back and use a carpenters level, don't guess) and marked the intersecting points with a grease pencil and mounted the camper brackets with clear silicone on the backs (to prevent moisture from getting in) using the supplied hardware... Mark the screw holes with a grease pencil and make sure the brackets are square with the camper sides.....

I can reach the awning with no issue with the top down using the retractable ladder. I unroll it before I raise the top and let it hang, then raise the lid, set the rafters, tension the awning and set the uprights in the camper brackets. Really, no issue other than a retractable (telescoping) ladder job and the ladder stows nicely in the camper and has 1001 uses at home too.

I'm quite happy with the price ($289.00) delivered and it's a quality awning.

Don't forget to install a screw through the extruded awning rail at each end to keep the awning from sliding in the rail when you drive down thew road. Carefree recommends through the rail and through the nylon rod that secures it in the rail. I put the screws at each end on the nylon rod and not through it, but that is personal preference.

IMO, a retractable ladder is a much better option than a step stool. just my personal preference, but I also use the ladder to get in and out of the camper itself. The camper sits plenty high on my 4 wheel drive truck (see the pictures in the truck camper thread in this site....)

That isn't me in the picture (with 2 beers), that is a friend and the awning isn't installed yet on the picture) but goes on the side shown with the push out window....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	122255  
Old 10-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #9

The Velcro strap retrofit works great!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475864682.867068.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	122345