Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I use a tire jack as if I were changing the tire to lift the camper just enough to get the BAL leveler around the tire.
Good idea. I need to crawl under myPUP and look around - I assume there is a pretty clear spot to put the jack?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #12

Yes, there is a spot just in back of tire. (and I found a drill with the socket adaptor works great to raise and lower the jack real quick, though have to raise by hand once there is alittle weight on the jack). We can usually get the camper level within a couple of minutes.

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinDad View Post
After reading so many great reviews about the BAL Leveler, I went out and got one before my trip last weekend. As it turns out, the site we had was nowhere near level, so it really came in handy (that thing truly is amazing!).

My only issue was that it would not fit around my tire. I didn't bring any boards with me since I had it, so I ended up using the two stabilizer jacks on the low side to lift the tire off the ground (just enough to slide the BAL under) and then lowered them before leveling out. This will likely be a recurring issue - do you think my method will damage the frame of my PUP (HW276)? Once the stabilizers were touching the ground, they only needed maybe 2 turns a piece to raise the tire enough.

After seeing how easy the BAL is (once under the tire) and how much more stable it made the PUP, I'd hate to not be able to use it, but would obviously prefer not to torque the frame...

My mother had one of these she used on her HTT. I cut a 2x8 about 6 inches long and she would back onto it with the tire on the low side. With that extra bit of elevation she could slide the BAL leveler under the tire and use it as you normally would.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

I have been using a BAL leveler for pretty much 7 years now .. and have not had any issues .. except about a week ago ...
Basically what happened is i backed into somewhat of a little "tire ravine", or hole .. which caused my tire to go deeper into the ground .. .and me not to be able to insert the leveler around the front and back end of the tire ..
.. thats it .. thats probably the problem you had ....

next time it will never happen ..

d-mo
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #15

Agree D-mo - it seems to be surface thing. The hard camping pads, I have had no problem - it fits right around the tire. Anytime the ground is soft or the tire is in a dip or in the yard where I park it, the BAL just does not go around the tire.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
Incheon, S. Korea

Mine has scissor jacks, and I have it in writing from Viking/Coachmen that it's ok to use them to level the trailer. That being said, after seeing the strength of the frame compared to my 2007 Starcraft, I would NEVER do so... LOL (I still haven't needed to use my BAL, either)
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #17

I've sometimes had a tough time getting our BAL under the tire, both at the camp and here at home. The BAL can get hung up on dirt/rocks/debris and not want to slide around your tire.

One of the easiest fixes is to bring along a section of board / composite decking. Back the low wheel on the decking and the BAL should slide around your tire. You may have to completely lower the BAL and/or remove the screw.

If the board doesn't work, like others suggested, I've also used a bottle jack to lift the tire onto the BAL.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #18

Not to be Mr. Negativity here, but if you have to bring boards to get the BAL leveler to work, wouldn't it just be easier to level with boards or blocks to begin with?

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
Not to be Mr. Negativity here, but if you have to bring boards to get the BAL leveler to work, wouldn't it just be easier to level with boards or blocks to begin with?

Bob
Yes, you're right to a point. The last time we were camping, our site was pretty uneven. I had to jack up the low-point pretty high, maybe 4-5 inches. I would not have felt comfortable using boards/lynx levelers for that. To each his own...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #20

I think a couple pieces of wood is better option. the weight difference between 2 BAL levellers and wood is near the same. A lot cheaper and if the wood is recycled (kindling) a very green alternative. I do carry a folding shovel, we camp in many provincial parks and I can always dig a hole and drop the wheels on the high side as well. Just replace the gravel/sand/dirt when you leave.

Brian