Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Basic Info on Winter Battery Care

Looking for some general information on proper steps to prepare battery/electrical system for winter. My HW 296 will be stored in a garage during the winter. I need help with the steps I need to take to prepare battery for 5 months of storage. Thanks in advance for the advice!
RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

If they are wet batteries.........keep water in them and keep a trickle charge on it until Spring........about all there is.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #3

Disconnect battery from system first. Charge fully,then check ,or charge in the spring, no need to have a charger on it full time. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

My last golf cart batteries lasted 10 years so I think this process works OK. I check the water & charge them up before lugging them to my unheated basement for the winter. The week before our 1st camping trip the next Spring, I check the water again & charge them again. Then I lug them back up the basement stairs & park them in the garage until I pickup the TT.

I have noticed that every Spring while lugging them up the steps that they seem to have gained some weight .
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Steve Jackson

Is there any reason why the battery can't be left on camper and just remain plugged into shore power for the winter? Will the cold damage the power cable?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Even a trickle charger will ultimately over-charge your batteries. IMO, the best for your batteries is to unhook them from the trailer and put a "smart charger" on it (them). A smart charger is just that; smart enough not to over-charger your battery yet keep it at optimum charge. They typically also have anti-sulfation technology. If you "google" it, you will see all kinds of alternatives. I use the Battery Minder but also have a larger capacity Ship 'n Shore smart charger by Schumacher. I just leave my batteries on the Battery Minder all winter. My motorcycle battery lasted 10 years using the Battery Minder.

Lots of people leave their trailer plugged in all winter. But even the 3-stage chargers are still trickle chargers on the lowest setting. It can work but you have to watch the water level in your battery.

Storage in a state of discharge is bad for a battery. You could be OK just letting it sit (unhooked) but I don't think that that is the best strategy.

Well, others obviously have other opinions but this is how I see it. Good luck!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond. I don't have a convenient outlet to use to keep it plugged in to shore power all winter. I'm going to try the battery minder idea and see how that goes.

On a related note, my carbon monoxide detector went off when the battery drained. Do I need to do anything else to the trailer when I unhook the battery and connect the battery minder to avoid this in the future? Any other steps to prepare electrical system, alarms, appliances, etc for winter storage once I unhook battery?

Thanks for helping me with these questions. This is our first experience with a trailer and I'm still trying to get up to speed on taking care of it properly.

Rob
RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing electrical that I know of. Make sure to leave your refrigerator door ajar to prevent mold and mildew. I assume that you have winterized your trailer water lines with RV antifreeze (or blown them out with compressed air) if you live in a cold climate.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
My last golf cart batteries lasted 10 years so I think this process works OK. I check the water & charge them up before lugging them to my unheated basement for the winter. The week before our 1st camping trip the next Spring, I check the water again & charge them again. Then I lug them back up the basement stairs & park them in the garage until I pickup the TT.

I have noticed that every Spring while lugging them up the steps that they seem to have gained some weight .
Could be.I know I usually gain weight over the winter.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNKY
Thanks to everyone for taking time to respond. I don't have a convenient outlet to use to keep it plugged in to shore power all winter. I'm going to try the battery minder idea and see how that goes.

On a related note, my carbon monoxide detector went off when the battery drained. Do I need to do anything else to the trailer when I unhook the battery and connect the battery minder to avoid this in the future? Any other steps to prepare electrical system, alarms, appliances, etc for winter storage once I unhook battery?

Thanks for helping me with these questions. This is our first experience with a trailer and I'm still trying to get up to speed on taking care of it properly.

Rob
We have a similar problem everytime we reconnect the batteries. The CO2 goes off for about a minute. We figure gremlins- and we try not to feed them after midnight!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
We have a similar problem everytime we reconnect the batteries. The CO2 goes off for about a minute. We figure gremlins- and we try not to feed them after midnight!
I think its some sort of safety reminder thing. Mine does the same, especially when the battery cables got so corroded the red one fell off. (Bought used, saved a ton of money & now sorting out the "gremlins")

Seriously I think it is a design feature.
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNKY View Post

Rob
My first winter too with TT. I brought in the smoke & other alarms which have the 9v battery. They don't take well to freezing and I think can leak?

Absolutely no food items, crumbs left for the mice in our neighbourhood
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #13

This is what I have also......this is what I meant by trickle charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Even a trickle charger will ultimately over-charge your batteries. IMO, the best for your batteries is to unhook them from the trailer and put a "smart charger" on it (them). A smart charger is just that; smart enough not to over-charger your battery yet keep it at optimum charge. They typically also have anti-sulfation technology. If you "google" it, you will see all kinds of alternatives. I use the Battery Minder but also have a larger capacity Ship 'n Shore smart charger by Schumacher. I just leave my batteries on the Battery Minder all winter. My motorcycle battery lasted 10 years using the Battery Minder.

Lots of people leave their trailer plugged in all winter. But even the 3-stage chargers are still trickle chargers on the lowest setting. It can work but you have to watch the water level in your battery.

Storage in a state of discharge is bad for a battery. You could be OK just letting it sit (unhooked) but I don't think that that is the best strategy.

Well, others obviously have other opinions but this is how I see it. Good luck!
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery