Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2
Batteries and upkeep

Hey all just picked up our camper yesterday. I forgot to ask about the battery and if and how it charges. Should I keep a trickle charger on it when it's not in use? Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
wingsofprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Welcome to the forums.

First thing to know with batteries is that they like to stay charged. I can point your to some indepth stuff if you want, but here are some pointers to help you keep your battery healthy.

  1. Proper charging is necessary.
    1. Do not allow to discharge more than 50%.
    2. Keeping your battery charged through the camper's converter is ok as long as it is a 3-stage converter, which most new campers have.
    3. Your trickle-charger should work fine as well.
    4. Batteries should be fully charged after use.
    5. If you plan to store the camper for more than a few days without charging, than disconnect the battery from the camper.
  2. Wear old clothes and goggles when working on your battery. Acid hurts.
  3. Keep an eye on the water levels. Flooded/wet batteries need to be watered periodically and the plates must not be exposed. Use distilled water and water only up to the marks.
Its a little more than you asked, but it will help you to keep your battery healthy.
__________________

__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Member
 
SchafferFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Welcome to the forums.

First thing to know with batteries is that they like to stay charged. I can point your to some indepth stuff if you want, but here are some pointers to help you keep your battery healthy.

  1. Proper charging is necessary.
    1. Do not allow to discharge more than 50%.
    2. Keeping your battery charged through the camper's converter is ok as long as it is a 3-stage converter, which most new campers have.
    3. Your trickle-charger should work fine as well.
    4. Batteries should be fully charged after use.
    5. If you plan to store the camper for more than a few days without charging, than disconnect the battery from the camper.
  2. Wear old clothes and goggles when working on your battery. Acid hurts.
  3. Keep an eye on the water levels. Flooded/wet batteries need to be watered periodically and the plates must not be exposed. Use distilled water and water only up to the marks.
Its a little more than you asked, but it will help you to keep your battery healthy.
To add to this advice, 50% of charge is not 6V,.. like many may think. Here is the scale of charge:
State of Charge / Specific Gravity / Voltage 12V
100% 1.265 12.7
75% 1.225 12.4
50% 1.190 12.2
25% 1.155 12.0
Discharged 1.120 11.9

I have a Battery Tender that I use on my Deep Cycle battery when taken off the camper for storage in the Winter. Once a month, connect it and leave it on for the full cycle of charge and float.

During camping season, if you are at a campground every 2-3 weeks, you may not have to disconnect the positive terminal. You may have a CO/LP detector as a slow draw, but you may be fine still. If going to be parking the camper for 3-4 weeks between trips and you cannot plug the camper in a few days before you go, then I would disconnect the positive terminal between these trips.

Your PUP likely has a converter for when you are plugged into the campsite shore power (30A or 15A) or at home to a 15A circuit. When plugged in, this converter will charge your battery and maintain it. See your owners manual for information.

Welcome! It is also helpful to post your camper info in your posts, or add it to your signature line so we know which model you may have.
__________________
SchafferFamily
2008 Toyota Sienna LE w/ Airlift Airbags
2012 Flagstaff 208 MAC Tent Camper
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2
Haven't been able to find the hard copy of the owners manual yet. Our walk through was thorough but I forgot to ask about the battery. We have a Rockwood 1920BH 2011.
__________________
Escaping from work one camping trip at a time.
Runnin' with my girls
Mamma PaJamma
Mossy J
DeDe Robinson
and of course my sweetie J.J.
wingsofprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchafferFamily View Post
To add to this advice, 50% of charge is not 6V,.. like many may think.
VERY good point there. Here's a table that also demonstrates that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	28908  
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
I should also add that the "dummy" lights on our panels showing state of charge are not exactly how you think they should be. I am not sure if you have one of these panels, but assuming you do, this is important (borrowed from Herk...)



So, basically, if your charge panel goes from the second light (Good) to the third light (Fair), your batteries need to be charged.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
checca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Minooka, IL.
Posts: 169
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsofprey View Post
Hey all just picked up our camper yesterday. I forgot to ask about the battery and if and how it charges. Should I keep a trickle charger on it when it's not in use? Thanks in advance!
I added a battery disconnect and then directly wired

Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com

this to the battery ... we keep it plugged in all the time.

This is by far the best battery charger I've used ... I now have six of them, RV, ATV, car, truck , airplane, and tractor.
__________________
2013 Lacrosse 318bhs
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 flex fuel / Installed airlift ultimate 5000 air bags and smart lift automatic leveling system.
Yamaha EF2000iS 2000 Watt Inverter Generators
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Renosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8
Battery question

Im new to pop ups and I was told that on my Flagstaff 625D when we bought that the battery will charge when we are plugged into our truck while we tow it. Is this true or false?
__________________
Renosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Member
 
SchafferFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renosky View Post
Im new to pop ups and I was told that on my Flagstaff 625D when we bought that the battery will charge when we are plugged into our truck while we tow it. Is this true or false?
It can be. We have our battery fed from our TV while we tow using the axillary pin on the 7-pin connector. This also allows us to have the fridge running on 12V power to chill or keep the fridge cold while traveling.

One way to check would be to place a meter on the terminals and read the voltage at the battery before connecting the TV. Check again with the TV running and see if you read a higher voltage.
__________________
SchafferFamily
2008 Toyota Sienna LE w/ Airlift Airbags
2012 Flagstaff 208 MAC Tent Camper
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renosky View Post
Im new to pop ups and I was told that on my Flagstaff 625D when we bought that the battery will charge when we are plugged into our truck while we tow it. Is this true or false?
on the vast majority of tow vehicles, it will only be a trickle charge.
on a near dead battery, you'd have to drive for hours to recharge it with your tow vehicle.
many of us install a battery disconnect switch. i can leave my two batteries disconnected for months and they lose very little of their charge.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.