Old 06-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

Battery disconnect switch

I'm installing a battery disconnect switch next week but do I install it on the negative side or the positive side? I'm putting my electric jack on it but not my trickle charger.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
clr

You want to put the battery disconnect on the positive battery. The Negative load will be going to frame ground. You do not want to open the negative and still have power going to all the devices.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #3

It does not matter which side you disconnect (positive or negative). Unless you want some things to still work like a tongue jack then I would put it on the positive and run the jack wire directly to the battery.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

Ok thank you. Can't believe I asked that but a couple people in other site said install it on the negative side.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #5

Normally, the preferred location is the negative cable for most automotive applications. For the same reason you want to disconnect the negative cable before the positive and connect the positive before the negative; you don't want to accidentally hit the positive post with a frame part cause you will get a shock and sparks will fly.

In fact, those power disconnect switches that mount to a battery terminal are usually sized for the negative post (smaller) and won't fit the positive post (larger). But those are normally designed for under the hood of a vehicle, where in most cases, the battery positive post is very close to the frame of the vehicle. (On my Silverado, not sure you can remove the positive cable without a good possibility of hitting the frame, so disconnecting the negative first is a must.)

And if you disconnect the negative, there is NO current flow through devices, so even though there is a power potential at the devices, power cannot flow through a device without a complete circuit.

In regard to the power winch, it has it's own separate power and ground, which are normally connected separately to the battery and a disconnect switch is usually used to disconnect the trailer wiring.

But with a trailer where the battery is in a box, chances are you won't be messing around inside the box near the battery posts, so either would do.

On mine, the inline fuse is in the positive side and I just pop the fuse to disconnect the circuit to the trailer/tv/breakaway. So if installing a switch in the same location; don't forget to close the circuit to allow power to the breakaway switch.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Finally installed the battery shut off switch. Yes it's red don't know why pic came out teal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437415701624.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	83461  
Old 07-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

It was mentioned above but deserves more emphasis... you should still have the breakaway switch wired before the battery disconnect so that you are never without your breakaway brakes even if you should forget to close the switch before you tow (you would not be legal without). Like the tongue jack you may have put before the disconnect, the breakaway draws no current until activated.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #8

I did leave the breakaway switch n a tickle charger connected.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #9

Nice job Kinma.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #10

Ty. I've been wanting to do this and had the switch bit other things have came up.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect