Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

Battery Issues and Questions Forest River Flagstaff 176 ED

Greetings all! I've tried to find the solution via reading through the forums (as there is alot of helpful folks on here), but have yet to solve my trouble with the battery.

I bought a used 2000 Forest River Flagstaff 176 ED 12ft pop-up and have a couple issues.

The shore power works fine- lights, converter, outlets, etc. are all functional. However when unplugged from shore, the lights/furnance won't function at all off the battery.

It didn't come with a battery, so I bought a new EverStart Deep-cycle Marine Battery and hooked it up to the cables. I've checked the battery with a tester and it is fully charged.

The original owner replaced the plug with a 7-blade plug, but the lights on the trailer work fine when plugged into the vehicle.

Should I replace all the fuses in the panel? Which is a good way to test if the battery is actually charging off the vehicle when connected AND the converter when plugged in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	model.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	55132   Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	55133   Click image for larger version

Name:	switches.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	55134  
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Site Team

there's often a fuse or resettable breaker along the trailer's A-frame, tucked in along the wiring.

the resettable breaker is silver or gray and has a tiny black button that you push to reset it.

it gets often gets tripped when the owner re-installs the battery and accidently crosses the wires.

then it may be a 30 or 20amp fuse along the wiring also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

If you check at the fuse panel do you have a switch to run off the converter or battery. My 97 palomino popup did not charge the battery and you had to manually switch between the converter and the battery. Do you know the brand and model number of you converter?

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

The switch under the lift up (or flip) sink might be damaged. There is a switch (a push down type) there that closes the circuit to allow inside 12 volt items to work when the sink is in the upright position. The wiring came off my brother in laws and nothing 12 volt worked. As a switch test, just join the two wires and see if you have 12 volt power. The switch prevents the lights from staying on when the trailer is closed (preventing burn marks on the mattress).
am-radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Plug it in and test voltage on battery, should be 12.5 by itself it'll read over 13 if you converter is actively charging it. Same with vehicle charging if your tv is wired for it. It sounds like the breaker to the battery is bad or ground from battery if everything is working off converter. Check/find all fuses then start tracing wires back from battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will have a look and try each of your suggestions tonight. Here is a pic of the converter in my pop-up.

Should I go ahead and replace all the fuses just incase? Also, do I have to turn the a/c breakers on or off at all when switching between battery and shore line?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403220496.838304.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	55791
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

You should not have to switch the breakers. It should switch buy its self. I don't know that brand of power converter. If you have a multimeter than you can check the voltage across the fuse. If they are good you should get 0 volts.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, flagstaff, forest river