Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Battery maintenance between trips

I am completely new to the Pup scene having just purchased a Premiere 2316g. Should I disconnect the battery altogether between trips and set calendar reminders to top off? How often? Should I leave the battery hooked up and leave it hooked up to the 6v/12v charger I have? What's best for the battery?
kelleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Hi kelleyg,,, I'm also new to the popup camper game.. I leave my battery connected however a couple days before I pull out the camper I put my battery on a slow charge.
club136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

1. Disconnect the battery if storing more than 1 week. My single group 24 battery will discharge to 50% in 10 days. This is due to the CO detector and radio memory backup.

2. Do not leave any charger connected full-time unless it is a "Maintainer" that has limited output (usually less than 1 amp.) and is specially designed not to overcharge your battery.

3. It is always best to fully charge the battery before storage, since it will self-discharge over time.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Either keep it plugged into shore power or install a battery disconnect switch.

No need for a separate battery charger, since your pup has a converter.

Suggest you Google "The 12 Volt Side of Life "
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

You should FULLY charge the battery using whatever means is most convenient for you THEN disconnect the negative wire from the battery to eliminate any parasitic charges.
The battery will stay well charged for at least 90 days. This also applies to winter storage. NO need to keep any continuous charge on any battery.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

I keep my camper plugged into a timer which charges my battery for 30 minutes each day. I feel that's enough time to top off the batteries and it seems to be fine for the trips we have went on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Keep ours plugged in all the time with fridge on and stocked.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
1. Disconnect the battery if storing more than 1 week. My single group 24 battery will discharge to 50% in 10 days. This is due to the CO detector and radio memory backup.

2. Do not leave any charger connected full-time unless it is a "Maintainer" that has limited output (usually less than 1 amp.) and is specially designed not to overcharge your battery.

3. It is always best to fully charge the battery before storage, since it will self-discharge over time.
X2. Now is the time to find out exactly what kind of converter you have and how it charges your batteries. You can't make good decisions without knowing this. Get the make and model number and download the user manual from this sites library (linked on the home page) or Google it from the inter-webs.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Going on 3rd season with mine. Whoever at home, I take into garage and keep on a trickle charger that maintains its charge. Battery had always performed well. I installed a battery monitor in the camper which tracks state of charge, usage, ect. So you are not guessing where it's level is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ESDSKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyg View Post
I am completely new to the Pup scene having just purchased a Premiere 2316g. Should I disconnect the battery altogether between trips and set calendar reminders to top off? How often? Should I leave the battery hooked up and leave it hooked up to the 6v/12v charger I have? What's best for the battery?
I use a Battery Tender. It has "float charge" capability. A float charge is what you need to maintain your battery without overcharging.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

When not in use I flip the disconnect switch and plug in the battery tender, I do this with all the equipment at my shop
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance