Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #1

Battery monitor and water tank level gauge add on

Just picked up a Rockwood 2514g. So far we are really happy with it. A friend of mine has a camper with a battery monitor (charge level gauge) and also an electric water level gauge. As far as he knows these were factory. I would like to add them to mine, but haven't had any luck finding them. Any ideas? I don't know if this is even possible, but I figured this was the place to ask!
cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_eddie View Post
Just picked up a Rockwood 2514g. So far we are really happy with it. A friend of mine has a camper with a battery monitor (charge level gauge) and also an electric water level gauge. As far as he knows these were factory. I would like to add them to mine, but haven't had any luck finding them. Any ideas? I don't know if this is even possible, but I figured this was the place to ask!

Here you go.
All you have to do is attached to battery and add your tank sensors.

Fresh Gray Black Water Battery Tank Monitor Panel camper Trailer RV | eBay

Here is the tank level monitor assembly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIB-Micro-Mo...item3cd90d53da

Here is the tank probes. You need 4 probes for each tank
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Quick-Pr...98dd98&vxp=mtr
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! Any experience with either system?
cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

This is an excellent battery monitor system.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...FcNj7AodNmcAUQ
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #5

I just received my Victron Battery monitor.
Trying to figure out the best location to mount the Shunt. Only has a 4-5 foot positive cable. I also need to by a jumper for the negative battery connection. It did not come with one.
I bought the BMV-600S.
Has anyone ever mounted one of these. Plenty of cable (CAT5) to run from the shunt to the gauge and plenty places to mount the gauge. I'm sure the shunt has to be out of the weather. Maybe mount in some type of box under trailer.
Any suggestions or experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
ESDSKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #6

I don't have a Victron but I mounted my shunt directly to one of my batteries using snap lock 400 (like velcro but a lot stronger), and ran a short wire from the shunt to the battery.
This way, when I pull the batteries, I just pull the shunt off and place it aside till I re-install the batteries.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

Thanks Flagstaff.
I just checked to see how much clearance/room I have in my battery box. No room on the sides. I can mount on top of battery, but when I strap down the lid (Plastic) it will probably touch the two bolts on top (-). Thinks this should be any concern?
What size wire did you use for a jumper? 8 Gauge? I'll check Lowes for the snap lock.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Yeah...I've done it...generally the shunt is mounted VERY close to the battery...within a couple of feet. Make sure that there is only ONE black wire left on your battery bank....the short one you buy to attach the shunt. all other negative wires should go to the other end of the shunt or you'll get bad readings. If you have too many negative wires to all fit on the end of the shunt...you can make another short jumper cable up and attach it to a bus bar that has room for the connections and then to the shunt. Like this:

It should be kept dry but any kind of reasonable isolation from getting wet under the trailer should work fine as long as you inspect it when you water your batteries. If you're really worried about the location you can tape a baggie or wire loom over it.

If your batteries are in a plastic box...you could take a small square of plywood and mount an electrical waterproof/resistant junction box from home depot to it and place the shunt & connections inside then bolt it to the battery box tapoing and using silicone sealant.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Trying to find snap lock or loop lock. Any ideas where to purchase it. I know the product. My Easy Pass for toll roads has it on it for on the windshield. Incredibly strong grip.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Thanks camaraderie,
I will have to mount a small box. That's what I figured I'd have to do. Plastic box is too tight. What size wire do you recommend?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

The plastic covers on my setup have plenty of clearance between the top and the top of the battery so the covers do not hit the shunt. The snap lock can be purchased at most hardware stores; although they normally carry only snap lock 250, which should be ok. I had 400 left over from a previous modification to a vehicle and I ordered it online.

As for the cable, I had a short length of 8 gauge battery cable that I used.

If you have dual batteries:
Connect both negative cables to the battery posts, do not connect to the shunt.
Install the shunt to one battery negative cable and then all negative connections go on the other end of the shunt.
Install the positive connection(s) to the positive post of the second battery.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #12

Alright, got the wire. Need to find a way to protect it. The outdoor 4x4 boxes are too shallow and short.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESDSKeith View Post
Thanks camaraderie,
I will have to mount a small box. That's what I figured I'd have to do. Plastic box is too tight. What size wire do you recommend?
Gauge wire should be the same as the existing wire unless you have added batteries and inverter & new loads to the original setup without previously changing the wiring. If you make sure it is the same size as your (presumably fused) positive cable...then it will never see too much current since the fuse would blow. Too small and it could melt the insulation exposing bare wire and attendant possible fire/safety issues.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESDSKeith View Post
Alright, got the wire. Need to find a way to protect it. The outdoor 4x4 boxes are too shallow and short.
Your battery boxes don't have a dome top on them?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #15

This would work. Hammond 1591ESBK ABS Project Box Black - Electrical Boxes - Amazon.com
Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #16

My boxes are domed like yours. I think it will hit the top though. May use a project box and mount it to the side. I have enough cable length.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #17

Found an outdoor box at Ace Hardware that fit perfectly. Mounted it on the outside of my battery box. Works and looks great. One more project complete.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #18

I solve the battery monitor problem by carrying a hand held digital voltmeter. The problem is: What do you do about the low battery voltage. The solution, when not plugged in to a 110 volt RVpark receptacle, is a generator. There is "No way" that tou can operate for several days in a State Park CG or out amoungst the pinon pines, without a generator.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
wagonrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #19

True. I'm a newbie. I have tent camped for 18 years. Was time to get off the ground. We always camped in National Forests. Did maiden last weekend. Bought a Kipor 1000 generator. Problem was when do you know when to run it. That's why I wanted the battery meter. It's all connected up now with a lot of useful info. Only purpose of generator for me is for re charging. Used furnace last weekend and battery held up. Changed out all interior lights with LED.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #20

Happy camping ESD, looks like you've solved the problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
wagonrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, tank, water, water tank