Old 11-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Battery Power- How long??

Hey all, if you go camping out in the boonies, how long can you last on just battery power? Not running fridge or furnace just fan and lights

caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Your not using fridge at all?

What size battery, brand, etc etc?

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Caver, you have a two, 12v battery config?
We dry camp a lot and can help with some ideas on how to conserve and still have all the comforts
FR Wildwood 22 RKS
2007 1/2 Dodge 2500, Cummins 6.7
Retirement training completed
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Knowledge is key to getting a good estimate.

You need to know the amp draws of each of the items running off the battery - and how many hours of a day they will be on.

Total up the number of amp-hours used in a day. Compare to half your battery's rating in amp-hours. Do not plan on discharging your battery more than 50% (why you used half of its rating) to keep its life expectancy reasonable. This assumes a deep-cycle battery - a starting battery (normal car battery) has a much lower tolerance for being cycled down to 50% charge.

Usually the number of days your battery can support will be less than you want. There are 3 ways to resolve - use less power, install more battery capacity, and/or add solar or other generating capacity.

In our case, the desire was to keep the A-frame at 50-55 degrees with outside temps in the 40s during the day and high 20s at night. The heater fan was/is the driving load since our camper came equipped with LEDs for the interior lights. Our calculation was that a single battery was not going to cut it for 4 days/3 nights. So we added a second battery (size 24 semi-deep-cycle) in parallel when we took delivery.

We have been successful for a single night - all our multi-night campouts in cold temps have been with shore power so far. We may find out more this coming Spring.

I also need to take measurements with a meter to make more calculations. I think the parasitic load (CO/LP detector, thermostat?, power-off on stereo, etc) is higher than I would like.

Fred W
2014 A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
With heater running on 25-30 degree nights to keep the chill away, LED used on the inside; two deep cycle 27 batteries, easily three nights with no help from the generator. Maybe longer, no use pushing it, and that was before I installed the trimetric meter. But fourth day I connected the battery charger and charged them both up.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
When I dry camp I have no problem making it through the weekend with two batteries. I run the fridge off the gas and only have a light on when I need it. I also make sure I turn the water pump off when I'm not running any water. As long as you aren't wasteful with your power you should be OK.

2015 Evo 2700
2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, power