Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

bent bed rail

My son accidentally sat on the bed end when it was pulled out enough to bend the bed rail. I can't close the bed up. We have no dealer in town either. I can't close the trailer, so I can't drive it any where! Any suggestion of how to replace or repair? Its just one side of the queen bed rail. How do I get parts? Has anyone ever replaced one? Help, my husband is going to kill me. (we were trying to get the sheet off!!)
muffyluvscamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyluvscamping View Post
My son accidentally sat on the bed end when it was pulled out enough to bend the bed rail. I can't close the bed up. We have no dealer in town either. I can't close the trailer, so I can't drive it any where! Any suggestion of how to replace or repair? Its just one side of the queen bed rail. How do I get parts? Has anyone ever replaced one? Help, my husband is going to kill me. (we were trying to get the sheet off!!)
Can you post a picture and tell us what trailer you have?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

I have a flagstaff 228D. I removed one side of the rail from the bed platform to get the bed back in to close the trailer up. I can post a picture of the bent rail, but its just a bent rail. Where can I get new rails online? We have no dealer or is it a generic part?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyluvscamping View Post
I have a flagstaff 228D. I removed one side of the rail from the bed platform to get the bed back in to close the trailer up. I can post a picture of the bent rail, but its just a bent rail. Where can I get new rails online? We have no dealer or is it a generic part?
It might be able to be straightened or duplicated at a welding shop unless your husband has the tools to straighten it himself. A vise and a big cresent wrench can work miracles on angle iron.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #5

While those are great suggestions, we are two nerds that get perplexed with more than a screwdriver. I am going to call forest river about buying replacement rails.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #6

Did you buy the new slat from a dealer? We have the same problem. I took the support out before my wife zipped the window. Can I ask how much you were charged, especially for shipping? Our closest dealer is 200 miles away and they wanted $22 for the part but nearly $50 for shipping. Does anyone know if this shipping charge is reasonable for a 5 lb part?
kle1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

I too had to order them from a dealer far away. They are charging me $42 for each rail and he didn't know how much the shipping was until the part came from Forest River. Not sure if its the same part that you are ordering because I'm sure that the metal rails weigh more than 5 lbs.

I was just so happy that I had someone help me find the part! The closest dealer is a camping world dealer, and since they are not known to care about tent trailer, I was pleasantly surprised that the parts guy was very helpful and responsive.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #8

Mine is the part on the bed itself. Goldish colored metal rail with no moving parts, only black endcaps. Mine is also the queen size unit. It weighs between 5 and 10 lbs. max. I just felt that the shipping was ridiculously high. Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kle1019 View Post
Mine is the part on the bed itself. Goldish colored metal rail with no moving parts, only black endcaps. Mine is also the queen size unit. It weighs between 5 and 10 lbs. max. I just felt that the shipping was ridiculously high. Thank you for your reply.
it's not the weight, it's the length that raises the shipping costs.
anything long will cost more to ship.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #10

I checked on the forest river website for a local dealer. The closest is about 100 miles away. I called and he had them in stock for about $20. I have a friend that lives there and he will be coming this way soon. Solves the problem. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

I said in an earler post that the closest dealer was 200 miles away. That was according to a local RV dealer, when I looked online, I found a closer one. Didn't want to appear as a liar.

Tags
bed, bent