Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Director, FROG
Maybe someone mentioned it and I missed it, but keep in mind that Fishing Bridge, which prohibits soft-sided units, is also the ONLY campground within the park that has electrical hookups. If you want electricity, you'll have to be outside of the park.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Thanks for the advice on the campgrounds.
I should of asked previous but what is the average price for a site. And would it be necessary to make advanced reservation. Thanks!!

Benthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Prices vary for the campgrounds but I believe they range from $14to $25 per night with the exception of Fishing Bridge and that one is $47 per night (they upgraded to 50amp service). As Bob mentioned, Fishing Bridge is the only campground in the park with hookups.

Some of the campgrounds are first come first served (FCFS) but most are operated by Xanterra and have a reservation system. Since you have a popup camper you could probably just wing it and hope for a FCFS. Personally, if Iím going to drive over 1000 miles Iím not about to leave it to chance that I will be able to find a site. Yes, I would call for reservations.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
Incheon, S. Korea
When we were at Yellowstone in July, some guy in a Honda with a tent was going apoplectic that he couldn't just "walk in" and camp. Embarrassingly funny, I must say.
Make a reservation, well in advance if you can. We were four months out and got one of the last three sites!
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Grant Village CG has some nice pull through sites plus all the amenities such as gas and grub. Makes for a good place to start out going on down into the Tetons.
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
Is fishing bridge not hard side only?
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Is fishing bridge not hard side only?
yes, and i'm assuming since the OP has a popup, that he may not need hookups anyway.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
We stayed a Grant 10 years ago with our popup. I reserved there. The amenities in Grants Village are nice but the campground left a little to be desired. Our site was just a wide spot in the road but, like others have said you will spend most of your time seeing the park. Grant is pretty far south so it is a long haul to the north end of the park but close to the Tetons.

Yellowstone is very strict with food in the campground and recommends no food in your popup or unattended at the campsite. I think we even kept our toothpaste in the car!

No electricity at the campsite some make sure your battery is in good shape. There is electricity at the toilets. It does get cold there at nite even in July! My battery gave out one night so no heat and it was cold. Five people huddled in one bunk!
2015 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Archicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone as we wanted the hookups (electricity) and as other posters said, the camping areas inside the park where popups would be allowed has no hookups. And having a popup, we were also alittle hesitant about bears - though the KOA still warns you not to leave food in coolers outside the camper. It was a nice campground, well managed and we enjoyed the heated pool. It is a bit more pricey though than staying in the park. It was also convenient to everything, close to the west gate of Yellowstone (within 10 minutes) and being near the town, we were able to get groceries (nice for restocking on our two week trip). And yes, reservations are a must.....
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
Thanks all this feedback gives me an idea as to what to expect. Thanks a lot!!

We vacationed in southern Colorado last summer and tent camped in a few places. We absolutely loved it. So that outing led to our popup purchase and wanting to go a different direction and picked Yellowstone.
Well i guess its; Yellowstone or bust!

Benthook is offline   Reply With Quote