Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

Best campground In Yellowstone ?

Well, I've bought this popup for our first vacation to Yellowstone. We plan to camp around for about two weeks and try to see as much as we can of the park. It's going to be my wife and two kids. We are so excited just starting now planning and buying this popup has got us very excited.

Now, what I'm wanting to know is what is the best campgrounds to stay at while in Yellowstone? I have researched and some wont let popups stay in their sites. So those are out. Which camp grounds would some of you recommend. And why.
It's always nice to know the pros and cons from firsthand experience.
Thanks!!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team

I've only stayed at fishing bridge, hard side only, but I've seen several others. I'd recommend something on the south end for easy access to both Yellowstone and tetons.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

This is just my opinion but with a wife and two kids I’d probably stay at the Canyon Campground for the convenience. It is somewhat centrally located in the park and Canyon Village has a restaurant and filling station. There are also pay showers and flush toilets available.

My second choice for a family would be the Norris Campground. It too is somewhat centrally located in the park and has flush toilets. The closest fuel and showers to Norris are at the Canyon.

Generators are allowed at both campgrounds from 8 AM to 8 PM.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

I've only stayed at Bridge Bay in loop G and it was great. I'm sure there are others that are better, but one thing about being on the South end is there is less traffic going counterclockwise around the park!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
This is just my opinion but with a wife and two kids I’d probably stay at the Canyon Campground for the convenience. It is somewhat centrally located in the park and Canyon Village has a restaurant and filling station. There are also pay showers and flush toilets available.

My second choice for a family would be the Norris Campground. It too is somewhat centrally located in the park and has flush toilets. The closest fuel and showers to Norris are at the Canyon.

Generators are allowed at both campgrounds from 8 AM to 8 PM.
Canyon has good dining also.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

Campgrounds in the park are quite easy to work with. We found on our last trip our focus was seeing the park and that the campgrounds were mostly just a place to sleep. With so much to see and do we arrived late and left early. One of my cherished memories was while hiking early one morning by the lower falls on the Yellowstone, I was able to witness an Osprey dive into the river and fly off with a fish in its talons. That part of the river was a no fishing zone, wink.
My suggestion would be to try to minimize road time. staying a couple days in the old faithful area ( We like Grant Village) that's where you can enjoy many of the geysers. We also enjoy the Canyon campground for the beauty of the falls and the wonderful hiking. Then would head to the Mammoth area to hike around the travertine hot springs .
Being able to take the trailer with you as you travel is quite easy in the park. Most parking areas are able to handle vehicles in tow. Enjoy your adventure!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthook View Post
Now, what I'm wanting to know is what is the best campgrounds to stay at while in Yellowstone? I have researched and some wont let popups stay in their sites. So those are out.
Fishing Bridge CG is the ONLY main campground in YNP that permanently bans soft-sided campers.

all the other main ones allow them, unless there's been some reason for a temporary ban.

we liked Madison for the west side of the Loop and Canyon for the east side of the Loop.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Fishing Bridge CG is the ONLY main campground in YNP that permanently bans soft-sided campers.

all the other main ones allow them, unless there's been some reason for a temporary ban.

we liked Madison for the west side of the Loop and Canyon for the east side of the Loop.
A few years ago a bear made a few stealth visits through the fishing bridge cg when we were there. Never saw it, just the evidence. A few weeks ago a grizzly was spotted about 3/4 mile from campground while we were there. Not a place for softsides. But I'd be good with any of the cg in ynp. Some have length limits but you should be OK with popup. Pick one and enjoy.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

I know it's not in park but we really preferred staying in West Yellowstone at Grizzly campground. It was just the wife and I. From there we could go sightseeing all over area.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #10

We stay at Madison, just got home last week, dry camping but the campground is nice. We go out every year in the fall ( late Sept to early Oct ) and in the spring say in West Yellowstone ( early May ) In May we usually Motel it.

Tags
mpg