Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

BEST Pop-Up Trailer Roadside Assistance Program

We purchased a used 2008 Rockwood Freedom 2280 earlier this year and just took it on a 1600 mile journey. We had a Tire shred on our way in to our campground, which we replaced at Costello's Tire in Berlin, NH (great service, great price) for $69.00 mounted. On our way home yesterday, the leaf spring on the same side as the tire, broke on the Saw Mill River highway in Pleasantville, NY and we were able to get the rig onto a side street. We needed the rig to be towed 50 miles on a flat bed for service.

I called Good Sam, and even though we did not have Roadside Assistance on our coverage, they agreed to charge us $180.00 and help us out. This was at 2:30pm Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend. After 2 hours of several phone calls promising that they would get a tow for us, they let me know that they are unable to help me out and that they would refund the $180.00. Needless to say, I wasn't really impressed by their service.

Now, it may have been the fact that it was going to be a 100 mile round trip service call and it was 2:30pm on a Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, but I feel that they should have found someone, based on the $180 charge and the $185 hookup fee and $6 a mile they were going to charge me, but again they were unable to help. It wasn't like we were in the Stix, we were in Pleasantville, NY.

I eventually convinced a towing company here in my home town (Florham Park, NJ) Defalco's Towing to come and get me and they did it for less that Good Sam had quoted me earlier.

Was it the timing of the need for emergency service (is there ever a good time) or was it Good Sam's just not being able to deliver?

I am really looking for a dependable roadside assistance program recommendation from this forum, one that would have been able to help. The driver said that AAA Rv Plus would be the way to go, but it doesn't seem to get good reviews on this forum?

Thank you in Advance,

Steven
treebridge is offline   Reply With Quote