Old 05-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #11
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Get a ice cream stick and a piece of emery cloth and fold the emery cloth over the end of the ice cream stick and sand away. Narrow the stick and emery cloth down and sand the female plug also.
The Only thing that I have found good about (Politicians) is the Free (Emery Boards) during Election time! They work very well for cleaning the Male & Female Plug,the boards,Not the Politicians! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Thanks guys, I did try the small bladed screw driver, and it got the prons somewhat clean, but not sure how clean they are can't really see in there. I'll try and put some emery cloth on the screw driver blade, or look for some contact spray. Like I said everything is working now, I just really haven't used this vehicle to tow much (usually tow everything with my Sierra pu) and now that we got the camper to tow and a boat when we go camping the blazer will be thrown into action. Thanks again for your help joe.

2013 Rockwood popup 2318 g. TV 2003 trailblazer and a 2013 SLE Sierra p/u
campfire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I was always under the impression that dielectric grease was an insulator? Since you want all the male and female parts to gave good electrical contact (and who doesn't?,) I think what you really want here is contact grease, not dielectric.
The radio techs that do our two-ways at work, will not use dielectric grease for digital radio connections, including the antennas; they use a carbon conductive grease. But these are very low power signals, so that might be the problem they found with dielectric.

From what I was told years ago, dielectric, if applied very lightly on most electrical connectors is usually no problem. For spark plugs it is usually applied to the insulator to help prevent any arching. If using a conductive grease, use VERY lightly and don't get a track of it from one pin to another, since it could cause problems.

Personally, I won't use it on an electrical connection. I use a military grade grease when needed; NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL".

"Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. It also disrupts the flow of electrical current, which makes it good for lubricating and sealing the rubber parts of electrical connectors. It's commonly used in automotive spark plug wires, recreational and utility vehicles, and electrical systems in aircraft.

Physical Properties

This material is a translucent, gray lubricant that does not dissolve in liquids like ethanol, methanol, mineral oil, and water. It can be dissolved with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and mineral spirits though. Dielectric grease affects silicone rubber over time, so it isn't always a good choice to use it on silicone-based O-rings or wiring harnesses.

It can withstand high temperatures, making it a good choice for engine compartments and similar locations. Many dielectric greases are rated to work in up to 392 F (200 C) temperatures, and some can operate at up to 500 F (260 C). Though there are other greases that can work at these temperatures, they may not prevent the flow of electrical current like dielectric grease does.

Dielectric grease is widely used as a sealant for spark plugs in gasoline or diesel engines, as well as on the gaskets of multi-pin connectors in the electrical systems of vehicles and boats. When used with spark plugs, it's applied to the rubber part of the plug wire. This helps the boot slide onto the plug's ceramic insulator and keeps dirt or moisture from contaminating the seal and disrupting the electrical current.

Besides being used to seal rubber covers on electrical connections, dielectric grease also prevents corrosion when applied directly to metal connectors. Though it works well for this purpose, it can sometimes cause a connection to stop working if not all of the grease is pushed out of the way between the points of contact inside the connector. Additionally, it is often used to lubricate other engine-related parts, like rotors, distributor caps, and speedometer cables. It can be used in other situations where electrical connections may be exposed to moisture and dirt as well, like outdoor lights, satellite TV installations, trailer hitch wiring, and battery terminals."

What Is Dielectric Grease? (with pictures)

Also, if the connector is really bad, they are easy to replace, even on the tow vehicle. I replaced mine on the Hummer since the factory plug was destroyed when off-roading. Purchase a plug designed to plug directly into a GM harness. So I would guess there are replacement plugs for all vehicles.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Yeah I was wrong it's not conductive, beer+sleepy+computer=silly mistakes. I use it to keep the corrosion down. 11 years on the TV plug, maybe anecdotal evidence but never had a problem with any trailer (assuming it's wired correctly but that's another issue) and the plug still looks decent.

I'll slather the positive post of a battery with it too to help with corrosion, a little on the blades of a fuse in the holders that are exposed to weather...basically it's in the pack with my cable ties and duct tape.

Also it does make it easier to get the boots off of spark plugs, and since it's laying there I use it.
'14 Rockwood 2318G
'03 Ford Explorer
gruss01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
Probably not the best thing, but I always give both connectors a real good spritz of WD-40 before each trip, and between trips if it has been a while. Also, I store the trailer cable connector end up under the propane tanks to keep it out of the weather. All my years of camping, I have never had a issue with the connectors (knock of wood).

Bob & Doris
Roanoke, VA
2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 - 5.7L - 6 Speed Auto - 4.30:1
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Dielectric grease = Electrical contact grease:
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm a bit confused. You linked to a contact grease, not a dielectric grease. But look cheaper and easier to obtain than the stuff I use. Might try some....
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
Cyber Phrenologist
Go to the auto parts store and ask for "bulb grease."

It keeps bulbs from corroding in their sockets. Should work here too.
Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Go to the auto parts store and ask for "bulb grease."

It keeps bulbs from corroding in their sockets. Should work here too.
Last time I brought a replacement brake light bulb a little tube of this grease was included - more than enough and I saved the excess.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
Ok so you fellers got me thinking here so when the Snap-On truck came by the shop today I ordered a kit for cleaning the 7 pin flat RV style trailer plugs. Our fleet pretty much uses 7 pin round on everything and I do have tools for that stuff.

I carry a small can of the bulb grease on my service truck and use it on a lot of electrical connectors subject to water and gunk.

2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote