Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Best way to monitor voltage on pop-up

I just finished putting in two golf cart batteries, now I'm wondering what the best way is to install a volt meter? Something like this appeals to me.
12/24 Volt LCD Voltage Meter - Prime Products 12-2020 - Voltage Monitors - Camping World

Is there a 12v outlet inside? I have a new 228BH.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #2

If I was measuring battery volts I would go directly from battery. You can wire in a voltmeter directly or add a 12v plug to use the one you linked to.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #3

I installed a 12V socket near the door, wired/fused directly to the battery. I use it for my portable air compressor for tire filling. I also wired a digital voltmeter (ebay $5.00), installed in the wall, to the socket wiring. It is on all of the time but draws practically no current so that is not an issue. Two years and no issues. I also installed a battery disconnect near the battery for storage.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

I wonder if the Zamp solar plug could be used?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #5

Trimetric

There are many threads on why the Trimetric is the best way to monitor voltage. I have a HW29SC on order and have already bought a Trimetric and Shunt; (2) 6V golf cart batteries; and a Torklift dual battery box.

I picked these after reading this thread:
My battery, inverter, solar and wiring upgrade install
Old 04-16-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Remember that volt meters are a power draw. While they don't draw much (depends on the quality of the meter), if left on/connected continuously it will impact your parasite losses.

Trimetric monitor is the only way to go IMO. Love mine.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

Go on ebay and buy one of the many inexpensive digital volt meter gauges (that will measure dc volts) and an inexpensive momentary push button switch (for press to test) of your choice. Connect the switch, directly from the battery (or splice to an existing wire that is directly connected to the battery) in series (with an inline 5amp fuse) with the 12 volt input to the gauge (gauge ground side can be any chassis ground point or ground wire). This type of install is very inexpensive, permanent and will not put any continuous load on your battery. These items can be mounted just about anywhere if the power requirements can be met. You could even make your own small panel to mount the items, just depends upon your expertise and imagination. Sounds like a lot but not really. Just another approach.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallystrothers View Post
I just finished putting in two golf cart batteries, now I'm wondering what the best way is to install a volt meter? Something like this appeals to me.
12/24 Volt LCD Voltage Meter - Prime Products 12-2020 - Voltage Monitors - Camping World

I use a cheap digital multi-meter I wired to the batteries. They have an on/off switch. Turn it on, check reading, shut it off.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallystrothers View Post

This cheap to just see what your convertor is doing will tell you the voltage. only $5.00 bucks at amazon. That is on the inside of a WFCO panel, will not give you amps but will tell you the voltage. That is with the power turned off, with the convertor working it will tell you what is going on like 13.2, 13.5 or with my Progressive 14.6 when it go's into desal. mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage read out 003.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	105091  
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

Nothing will beet the acid densety test and the tester is not expensive!
No modification to your rig is needed!!

Tags
voltage, pop up