Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Best way to sell pop up in ny area

Just picked up brand new flagstaff shamrock 233s.....very happy with it ....we stepped up for a pop up...I was going to trade it in ...but the dealer trade in value was horrible.
So now I have 2 trailers.
I am looking to sell our 2007 fleet wood niagara highlander pop up for $6500...just don't know the best place to advertise it....
Any ideas would be appreciated
metalmike57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

You could post it for sale in this forum and or on Craigs list I sold my class A in three days on craigs list. Keep in mind if you are using Craigs list or Ebay or something like that I recommend cash only deal (includes cashiers check)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #3

Craigs List, but be careful
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #4

I've bought and sold two trailers from Craigslist (popup and small hybrid) with very good success. YMMV

I ultimately found my current Roo on CL too. But when I was looking, I did find some good ones on rvtrader.com also, so that may be worth a look for listing there as well.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Craigs List, but be careful
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #6

I sold my pop up on Craigslist as well, and got my full asking price. I had no responses from the forums.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Team

My sister-in-law sold her 5th wheel really fast on Craigslist. We are in SoCal which has around the year camping since she sold it in the fall which is often the end of the camping season for some areas.

Recommend taking pictures with it being tidy up to help showcase it best.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #8

We sold our 2004 Fleetwood Pecos Pop up using Craigslist this past Spring when we moved up to our Mini-lite 1809S. We took many pictures and played up the fact that it was mint condition, always garaged, and the pictures showed that to be true. Also included the pop up specific stuff like BAL leveler, etc. The first young couple (with a toddler) to come see it bought it. Didn't even haggle because it was priced right and in the shape we had promised it as. We paid $7500 for it in 2004 and sold it for $4500 12 years later.
Equalizer E4 - 600 TW, 6000 GTW
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for the help and info....my wife put it up on Craig's list today....if you want to check it out it's 2007 fleetwood niagara highlander in the ny area for $6800 in east meadow...if it looks like the ad is missing something,please let me know
Old 09-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #10
MCTroy

Don't forget to just put a for sale sign on it in your driveway. A friend sold their pop up to a neighbor while putting a sign on the trailer. Seems the neighbor has been looking for a trailer and knew theirs was a nice one. You never know who might be interested.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

Good point.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #12

We bought ours off CL. When we looked at it, the owner said someone else had just looked at it the previous day and was going to call back when he had the funds. I handed him a crisp $1 bill and placed my deposit, which he accepted. I came back a few days later with a check for the asking price, minus the $1 of course.

I would also advise to look online for bill of sale go-bys. You want to be sure to include that there is no implied warranty from you and it's being sold "as is".
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #13

We have been extremely successful both buying and selling on Craigslist.org. We have not had great success on other sites, even though they were paid adverts.

As others have said, detail it so it looks the best it can. Post a lot pictures and give a detailed description. I have found that brief ads do not bring results. If you show you are interested in presenting it, interested people are motivated to read the details and will pass the one-liners. Buyers have confirmed this multiple times. They have even quoted some of our information.

You will find scammers on craigslist, so be careful in responding via email. If we recognize it as a scammer, we flag that email. Our ads state, "We may only respond to emails very specific to this ad". And we hold to it. Our phone number is listed in the "Reply" tab. We require a phone call to give our address and no address until they say they are coming. A phone number is much easier to trace than an email. Also, we will not deliver without the buyers seeing it.

Be patient. Often, it doesn't take long, but at times it may. Consider this, a dealer may sit on something for months before making the sale. A person may not be checking craigslist daily or may sit on the ad for a few days. A trick we have learned is to delete the ad weekly, on Friday, and immediately repost the same ad. Very easy on CL. When the ad is deleted, it immediately gives you the option to repost-don't need to redo anything unless you want to make changes. This keeps your ad up front with no history of how long it has been listed. We have reposted ads and within minutes got a bite.

We never post an ad with the price OBO. That is an immediate flag that you will take less. You may get a low baller testing you, so don't be afraid to hold your price or come down a little-let them counter-they will if they want it.Tell them that you appreciate the offer, but want to hold the price, or hold for a better offer. We have found that the next person has paid the price or the person with the low offer decides it worth it. Be cautious with accepting anything but cash.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #14

Wow Joe ...great advice!
I will let you know how it goes

This forum is great!...me and my family just got into the camper lifestyle and we love it . The people we meet are so friendly and helpful...and it's great that our kids are experiencing it with us.

Tags
pop up