Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Bike rack

What is the best bike rack to get for our pup??
vinman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on where you want to carry your bikes.

If you are using an SUV as a tow vehicle, a roof rack might fit the bill.

If you are not using a WDH, the Swagman may be a good choice. Swagmanbikeracks.com :: RV/Towing :: Swagman Original 3 Bike 64600 Towing **$126.00**

For me using a pickup, I carry my bike suspended over the bed....see my signature photo.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #3

I use a receiver hitch bike rack on the front of my TV. We have an Ultra-Lite and can't/ won't use a bumper rack. Bikes ride well in front. Can see them and they don't take up all that bed space in the Pick- Up.

I have seen bike racks made for the top of a closed PUP. I had been interested when we had a PUP but never looked further into it.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

I've seen the ones that attach to the hitch but I don't that would work for us. We gave a highwall, so it's heavier than most.

I did see a Sixnall buck rack that you do not have to drill any holes it attachable with straps. But not sure if that is good or even safe!? Any thoughts about that??
vinman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #5

If you want to haul them on the roof of the pup, then look at Rackwharehouse.com under the Thule products, they have roof rails you can mount directly to the roof. I have used them in the past when I owned a pup and never had any issues, I could haul 3 kayaks or 5 bikes. The rails are difficult to find anywhere else and you won't find them in the fit guide programs. Then if you use the TK2 tracker feet, the rack will lock into the rails well. Sorry I don't have a picture close up of the rails by them self, but you can see from this picture what I was able to carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Diego 2007 (11).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6150  
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #6

I just purchased a pro-rac system for my pop-up. ProRac Systems Inc. Manufacturer of Innovative Rack Systems for the Automotive, Truck and RV Markets | Tent Trailer Proformance

Works very well, easy to install and adjust. I used to carry bikes on the roof of my Pilot, but this is much easier.
Yakima Rocketbox
ProRac Bike Carrier
Bilboa Kayak
PKRZRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

I passed someone recently with one of these. Let us know how it works out.
LionInTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #8

I've taken two trips so far with the Pro-Rac set up. The front tires of your bikes need to be removed, but this provides a solid attachment to the fork of the bike to the rack. The rack comes with straps, but I think I'll switch to ratchet straps to tighten the back of the bike down to keep the bikes from shifting.

I'm happy with the purchase - easy to install, adjust the height, no holes drilled in the roof.

I looked into the pass through hitch with bike carrier set up, but that adds quite a bit of tongue weight once you add the bike weight of 4-5 bikes.
Yakima Rocketbox
ProRac Bike Carrier
Bilboa Kayak
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKRZRL View Post
I've taken two trips so far with the Pro-Rac set up. The front tires of your bikes need to be removed, but this provides a solid attachment to the fork of the bike to the rack. The rack comes with straps, but I think I'll switch to ratchet straps to tighten the back of the bike down to keep the bikes from shifting.

I'm happy with the purchase - easy to install, adjust the height, no holes drilled in the roof.

I looked into the pass through hitch with bike carrier set up, but that adds quite a bit of tongue weight once you add the bike weight of 4-5 bikes.
I've seen those and wish we would have known about it when we had a pup. Its the best design out there for pop-ups IMO.

Out of curiosity, how much does the Pro-Rac with bikes add to the TW on your set-up?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #10

I haven't formally calculated the TW yet, but I can't believe it is much. The carrier is an aluminum alloy vs. steel and it is mounted to the frame of the camper vs. handing on a hitch extension. The bikes are also resting on the roof, which helps with the weight distribution IMO.

I haven't seen a noticeable difference with two adult trek hybrid bikes and two kids bikes. I'll have to weigh the bikes and do some math.
Yakima Rocketbox
ProRac Bike Carrier
Bilboa Kayak
Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKRZRL View Post
I just purchased a pro-rac system for my pop-up. ProRac Systems Inc. Manufacturer of Innovative Rack Systems for the Automotive, Truck and RV Markets | Tent Trailer Proformance

Works very well, easy to install and adjust. I used to carry bikes on the roof of my Pilot, but this is much easier.
this looks like the picture in the brochure for our 2010 Flagstaff (same pic in the 2011 brochure) for the dealer added bike rack. Looks like a great idea, how much do they run?

I have a small Class II receiver mounted on the back of ours so I put either a bike rack or a cargo tray for firewood etc off the back.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
this looks like the picture in the brochure for our 2010 Flagstaff (same pic in the 2011 brochure) for the dealer added bike rack. Looks like a great idea, how much do they run?

I have a small Class II receiver mounted on the back of ours so I put either a bike rack or a cargo tray for firewood etc off the back.
I bought mine from pplmotorhomes.com for just under $350. Shipping was $25 - a quick search on amazon.com shows about $375 as best price. http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Systems-In.../dp/B000V2KN22
Yakima Rocketbox
ProRac Bike Carrier
Bilboa Kayak
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #13

First post here.. We have an SUV so we can't run a hitch bike rack because we need to open the rear door. I'm also not to excited about putting holes in the roof of our pup.. so has anyone seen a bike rack that is in the rear of the pup. Maybe mount off the rear under frame... or this just may be a custom job, but that sure would be nice to have the bikes in the back of the pup. ?!
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Site Team

most bumpers on pups, are very flimsy and so are the welds.
you could see if a welder could weld and brace a receiver for a bike rack. but doing that may void the frame warranty.
it does on ultra-lite travel trailers.

why don't you get a Yakima or Thule roof rack. that's unused space up there and gives you the ability to carry other things, like kayaks, cargo, skis, snowboards and so on.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack