Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #1

bike rack

New to forum. Searched for bike rack info and there is plenty. The ProRack system looks real good! Have three bicycles and a Rockwood 1940 ltd pup. Anybody have other suggestions? Glad to be here.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

New here so not sure if I can link directly, but we have used the "Hitch grip bike rack" and like it. It clamps around the hitch so no other hardware is necessary, and comes with a stinger so if you aren't towing you can still use it (and on any vehicle with a receiver). 3 yrs and quite a few trips and its still in good shape, never had an issue backing in with it on either which was my initial worry. My old rockwood rode low so I didnt want to add anything off the back and no way did I want to add holes to the roof so tried this one.

Sorry this is late I just joined....hopefully a new 2318g will be in the backyard soon

edit: I think it was around 70-80 bucks. Hope that helps.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

hitch

Thank you, guess we are both rookies on this forum but not in popup camping. I will take a look; the price of the ProRac was daunting so sure makes the one you suggest attractive. Good luck on your new purchase. I am chomping at the bit since tomorrow I am supposed to pick it up. I am so ready for summer!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

Yeah I looked and looked for a way to haul at least 3 bikes without drilling/welding, then stumbled across that one. Sure beat the other one we had that hangs off the liftgate and only holds 2. We carried a 26" mountain type bike with a baby seat on it and 2 20" bikes with it no problem. I was leery of the clamp when I ordered but after seeing it I don't think it's going anywhere. screw on clamp and also a latch with safety pin that would keep if from rotating if some how the screw fell out, but I never had it even get loose. I did use some utility straps with the thumb release clamps around the bikes just for security and to keep the wheels from spinning.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #5

bike rack

gruss01, forgot to ask- how did the hitch grip w/bikes affect your turning? Clearance with popup? I just picked up my 2012 rockwood 1940 ltd! Great shape, I cleaned up the inside a bit, we are on our maiden voyage this weekend and I am excited. I would also question the Prorac system- I prefer not to have to remove the front wheels and then that system would interfere I think with extending the bunk on that side.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

It didn't affect it, the bikes never got close to the tounge that I could see. I guess in a severe jackknife it could be an issue but then a couple bent bicycle rims would be the least of your worries ;-)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #7

bike rack clearance

10-4 thanks! Much easier choice now. I have just the three bikes.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

https://plus.google.com/105809813996...ts/eodhRVzauZ1

New to the forum so I hope that link works? that's the only pic I have with them all loaded up. But I'm happy with that rack...has over a 1000 miles loaded just like that and no sign of stress anywhere.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #9

rack

Sorry, gruss01, could not access pic via the link you posted. I am also having problems finding that Hitch Grip rack available anywhere! On Amazon it is no longer unavailable. Let me know if you find it elsewhere. On another forum, someone posted they used a dual hitch from harbor freight that has a longer frame, the second hitch is atop the main one for towing the camper- elevating the bicycles a bit above the grip type clamp point sounds good, the longer hitch frame may affect the towing of the camper. Supposedly the dual hitch is rated for 4K #, which is more than enough.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Alleged curmudgeon

or, if you have room in the bed of your truck...

google "Dakine tailgate pad"...after years of fighting bike racks, a fellow here on FRF pointed me to the Dakine tailgate pad, which is by far the simplest, most effective way to haul bikes I have ever seen. If you have room in the truck bed, I'd recommend it. The simplicity and ease of use is amazing. My bikes literally do not move in transit.

Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack