Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

Black tank clean out

Does anyone know if I can flush the black tank using water down the vent tube? Just wondering.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Don't know that but I bought a flush king and it works well. Mounts on end of blackwater outlet and has another valve. Plus has a hook up for water hose on other side of valve. Close valve and turn on water. Let the water build up in tank and then release valve. I do it 4-5 times till I see clear water come out (flush king is clear plastic). Only downside is you don't really know how long to let it fill up.

2014 Rockwood HW277
2104 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Koedean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

One simple solution would be to have someone inside shine a flashlight down into the tank and holler when it was close to full and the person on the outside to time it, deduct a couple of minutes for fluctuations and then just time it. I think I will be investing in a flush king as well.
papasmurff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

The flush king seems to be the simplest solution for us who do not have sensors or flush valves.
papasmurff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

I find it just as easy to put the garden hose in the toilet from inside, then I know how full it is. I use one of those flexible wands if it is especially dirty.

2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurff1 View Post
One simple solution would be to have someone inside shine a flashlight down into the tank and holler when it was close to full and the person on the outside to time it, deduct a couple of minutes for fluctuations and then just time it. I think I will be investing in a flush king as well.

What I have found is the water pressure varies for each facility, so timing doesn't really work.

2014 Rockwood HW277
Old 09-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

Well the flush king I guess would work if you timed it when at full hook and to solve the pressure differences you could use a regular like you do on the FW. Something to look into next season. Ty everyone
Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Infractee

Found this intresting

RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #9

Yes...long video, but good. I would do the tornado, leave it on, let it fill and then open dump valve with water still on. That way debris is agitated as it empties. Then just close valve and let fill again and do that a couple times. I have to see how easy it would be to access the tornado with the hose. I already hate how far under the frame the hookups are now.

2014 Rockwood HW277
Old 09-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #10

The simple solution would be for the manufacturers of the black tanks to make the inside bottom surface of the tanks with a slight concave surface like the inside of a bowl with the drain tube in the middle. Seems then like everything would flow out better and not hang-up and sit in the corners or on the bottom of a flat surface of a tank as in the above video. Guess then there wouldn't be the need for all of these products that don't really work
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
The simple solution would be for the manufacturers of the black tanks to make the inside bottom surface of the tanks with a slight concave surface like the inside of a bowl with the drain tube in the middle. Seems then like everything would flow out better and not hang-up and sit in the corners or on the bottom of a flat surface of a tank as in the above video. Guess then there wouldn't be the need for all of these products that don't really work
I totally agree. Why can they not design a better tank that will empty out better. Seems like such a simple task.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #12

or just round corners like a gas tank. just to share. took my pup in for warrenty work and was talking to the sales counter about the black tank cleaning it out and he said he has a awesome thing that does a great job! instrested i asked what and he told me about the hydro flush!! lol i said dont it just spray straight in the pipe but at the 90 degree elbow b4 the tank it just sprays the top of the tank? he looked puzzled and said he ll have to look at it!! i just smiled and walked away.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
or just round corners like a gas tank. just to share. took my pup in for warrenty work and was talking to the sales counter about the black tank cleaning it out and he said he has a awesome thing that does a great job! instrested i asked what and he told me about the hydro flush!! lol i said dont it just spray straight in the pipe but at the 90 degree elbow b4 the tank it just sprays the top of the tank? he looked puzzled and said he ll have to look at it!! i just smiled and walked away.
lol. Too funny. They are only taught to offer these products without ever thinking if they really work.

I looked at my set up and I am sure we are all the same with the Highwalls because the tank is above the floor. My drain comes straight down thru the floor and then makes a 90 degree turn towards the blade valve exit.

If the drain is in fact on the bottom of the tank instead of the side discharge like the video, then we may have an easier time cleaning them out. I think the reason the tank in the video did not work well is because the flow was in the middle of the tank and not much of a current around that two lower corners. But if it is on the bottom with no lip to get caught on, then it should drain a bit better because the current should be all around the drain. Maybe like a sink it could even swirl if it is full.

My plan is to pick up one of these Camco wands that spin a jet around and hope to move the stuff into the hole. I hope it works.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #14

also if youi look at black tanks the bottoms look like they may have grooves toward the drain opening and the bottom has a slight slope.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #15

i cant post photos anymore. heres a link to a pic

RV Holding Tank 31 Gallon Black Grey Waste Water HT700 | eBay
Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #16

That would be a good idea .On my 21 Fbrs mirco lite 2012 my fresh water is funnel out to the center.If they did that with the other tanks that would be great.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank