Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

Black water tank on Rockwood HW296

Hello all. I'm new to the site. I just purchased a 2010 Rockwood HW296 last month and the family is loving it. I have used the forum to search about options for connecting the gray and black water drains and look forward to using some of the advice.

My question is, is/was there (supposed to be) a black water tank on my camper? I have looked under the camper and it appears the toilet goes right into the valve. I looked at the manufacturers specs and it says I'm supposed to have a 12 gal black water tank. The salesman was a complete moron, he said I have a cassette, which is obviously not the case. Did the HW296 have a black water tank in 2010 and mine was removed by the previous owner? Can someone help me get to the bottom of this?

If there is a tank where the hell is it? If there isn't what are the instructions using/maintaining the waste water system?

Thanks in advance
wsievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

You are correct. The salesman is a moron.

You are also correct in that you cannot see a black tank amongst the dual grey tanks under the unit. You do indeed have a 12 gallon black tank. It resides under your toilet seat but above the plywood floor.

I hope this helps.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Thank you. After I posted I read the whole HW296 20pg thread and I kind of got that. The service guy was just as much of a moron because he thought I just drained out the valve. Do I need to do anything special to use it or maintain it? Does the tank cleaner work the same way as it would in a full size camper? Any tips or tricks would be welcomed.
wsievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #4

That is correct. the maintenance required would be the same as a typical Travel Trailer. It is just that the holding tank is smaller.

Many here use a "geo method" which utilizes water softener. A search for that will produce lots of results. I simply use the blue thetford chemical to maintain my tank.

Other than that you will need a typical 3" sewer hose and possibly a blue tote if you wish to camp on W/E sites with no sewer.

Vin.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 07-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

Get a swivel stick (wand) and a Johnny chock. I try to camp with full hook that way I can clean the tank from the toilet down. You can get a hydro flush (back flush ) but you really don't get the pressure if something is stuck to the wall of the tank.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Oh and a garden hose dedicated for the sewer.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Get a swivel stick (wand) and a Johnny chock. I try to camp with full hook that way I can clean the tank from the toilet down. You can get a hydro flush (back flush ) but you really don't get the pressure if something is stuck to the wall of the tank.
Good advice Kinma. I too use a swivel stick.

When I camp with only W/E and use a blue tote, I do this as a final step. I will dump the black tank into the tote, empty the tote at the dump station, and then flush out the black tank with the swivel stick. Then back to the dump station to empty the tote. A bit of work. But I really do prefer the w/E sites amongst the trees.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 07-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

I would do that to but my TV is an SUV and there is no where to carry a tote other then in the pup and the DW would kill me
Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Get a swivel stick (wand) and a Johnny chock.
this is what i've been using for 8+ years now.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Many here use a "geo method" which utilizes water softener. A search for that will produce lots of results. I simply use the blue thetford chemical to maintain my tank.

Other than that you will need a typical 3" sewer hose and possibly a blue tote if you wish to camp on W/E sites with no sewer.

Vin.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
I used the geo method and it worked great. Calgon make the liquid water softener. Flush the toilet a few time then add a cup or two of the softener, then I add a small bottle of Dawn dish detergent. Then flush the toilet a few more times. Do this before going on a trip and keep you valve closed. When you get where you are going you can empty it but if you have room in the tank drain it before you leave the camp grounds. This will clean your tank and coat the side walls so nothing sticks to them. This works well so you don't have to do it very often

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

Black Tank Vent

Thinking of buying a HW296 and wonder if is there is a vent for the waste tanks and if so, where are they it? Assuming there has to be a vent for it all to work properly.
Kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #12

Grey vents are on the side wall, and black is on roof as you raise the top it's a flex line wear the canvas is. Well on the hw276
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the info. Going to check out a HW296 at the dealer and will look for the vents.
Kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Good advice Kinma. I too use a swivel stick.

When I camp with only W/E and use a blue tote, I do this as a final step. I will dump the black tank into the tote, empty the tote at the dump station, and then flush out the black tank with the swivel stick. Then back to the dump station to empty the tote. A bit of work. But I really do prefer the w/E sites amongst the trees.

Vin.
Vin, curious with this ... why don't you just pull up to the dump station on your way out opposed to doing the "man in the middle" with the blue tote? Seems like the blue-tote is just an extra step and an extra thing to clean - at parks that have a dump station. Please forgive me if you think I am criticizing .. I am not. Just curious to your method here. I like the W/E only sites too!

gpwooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwooden View Post
Vin, curious with this ... why don't you just pull up to the dump station on your way out opposed to doing the "man in the middle" with the blue tote? Seems like the blue-tote is just an extra step and an extra thing to clean - at parks that have a dump station. Please forgive me if you think I am criticizing .. I am not. Just curious to your method here. I like the W/E only sites too!
Wait ... I may have answered my own question, LOL. This swivel stick .... you must be using it while the pop-up is up - yes? We never have used the toilet as we are just used to using the site's facilities, so this type of cleaning I just haven't done before.

gpwooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #16

Yes go wooden you must use a wand when the pup is setup. You can start Pyramid if you dump at the CG everytime. I try to have a FH site so I can clean the tank everytime now. Our blk tank started pyramiding last season and I had to use a product called unique natural product for rv s and that stuff works great. Tank came all clean and does everytime now.

Tags
black, black water, rockwood, tank, water, water tank