Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #1

Brake controller

Hi all, ? We tow with a 1999 jimmy and was wondering has any one added a brake controller to their unit. Our pop up has electric brakes, I want to add a braking system. Truck does have tow package, will I have to cut into the system or plug and play. I do work on cars on the side and I am just trying to do my home work.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
chicagoslick

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip252 View Post
Hi all, ? We tow with a 1999 jimmy and was wondering has any one added a brake controller to their unit. Our pop up has electric brakes, I want to add a braking system. Truck does have tow package, will I have to cut into the system or plug and play. I do work on cars on the side and I am just trying to do my home work.

Try checking out all the great information on Etrialer's website...they are easy to install and setup...I prefer the Tekonsha Prodigy Line, but all will work for what you are doing...

GMC Jimmy Brake Controller - 1999 | etrailer.com

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

Most GM vehicles with a tow package have a four wires bundled to the right or left of the steering column, just under the dash.
Lt Blue is the vehicle's brake switch input to the controller (has voltage when brake pedal is pressed)

Dk Blue is the output from the controller to the rear 7-pin plug for the trailer brakes
(output voltage is dependent upon the controller settings)

Red is hot at all times through a brake fuse in the fuse panel

Black is ground.

And I'll also put a plug in for Tekonsha as having some of the best controllers on the market.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip252 View Post

99 GM should be equipped with a connecter port on the fuse relay panel for the brake controller
just connect break controller wire to the plug adapter and plug it in you are done. Here is a Web link for the 99 S10 http://www.etrailer.com/multi-produc...2620&hunter=bc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Even if you don't have the wiring it's very simple to setup. Etrailer has great documentation for wiring a controller in just about anything - a couple of fuses, some wire, and you're done.

- Randy
Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

what settings do you set your P3 brake controller on? my unit goes up to 14 / that still does not lock rear wheels/I set mine on 10 I am sure we all set them different / just want to get other feed back from others/ thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgeline1 View Post
what settings do you set your P3 brake controller on? my unit goes up to 14 / that still does not lock rear wheels/I set mine on 10 I am sure we all set them different / just want to get other feed back from others/ thanks
I have a truck with the integrated brake box now and have it all the way up because I am pulling a 42 ft 5er. For the old truck and TT I th hunk I had it a little more that have way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

Ok, got a brake controller unit, pod 80500 for 18 bucks of eBay, still in box!! Can't wait to get it hooked up.

phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes