Old 05-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #11

Thank you everyone. This just goes to prove what I've always suspected but never been able to prove until now. Campers are some of the most friendly and helpful people on the planet. I used to have the exact same experience when I had my street motorcycle many years ago.

So I've read and listened to everyone's advice (thank you), and here are some of the things I've already placed on order or will get before our first outing:
- Anderson Camper Leveler (10 seconds of the YouTube video sold me, thx kinma13)
- Li Ion Cordless Drill w/ socket & extension (thx kinma13, dealer also recommended)
- Propane gauge
- Water pressure regulator
- LED side "porch" light (sewserious, I checked mine's not LED)

Per vinmaker's suggestion we are cleaning out our 3rd garage to start parking it in there. I will keep a CLOSE eye on the roof to make sure the seals are all tight. At present they all have chalk oozing out of them (still new & soft), but I'll watch this going forward.

Two questions that came up from my wife. First, what can you put on the mattresses to make them a little softer? We have the heated mattress pads (requires shore power). Second, where can we get a mattress pad to protect the mattresses? We're going to take our grandkids out ... wouldn't want a childhood "accident" to ruin or damage our mattresses. ;-)

One last question from me. I set everything up to trailer this behind my wife's 2003 V8 Toyota 4Runner. But could I get away with trailer-ing this behind my 2012 V6 Toyota Tacoma? Bear in mind we do have quite a few hills and mountains in AZ. I initially thought I might have to have the V8, but now I'm not entirely sure. Plus my Tacoma has satellite radio and onboard GPS and her 4Runner doesn't ... not that I couldn't add those to the 4Runner ...

Thank you all. You guys (and girls) are great.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #12

Need to check your tow and load ratings for the tacoma and figure it out vs. the weight of your trailer, and how loaded the truck might be. Also, make sure the hitch can handle the tongue weight.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWheelerAZ View Post
Two questions that came up from my wife. First, what can you put on the mattresses to make them a little softer? We have the heated mattress pads (requires shore power). Second, where can we get a mattress pad to protect the mattresses? We're going to take our grandkids out ... wouldn't want a childhood "accident" to ruin or damage our mattresses. ;-)

The A-Frames have the same mattresses as the pop ups and they do need some help. To "soften up" our full queen bed, 60"X80", we added a two inch memory foam topper from Target. The foam topper is held in place by a thick cotton mattress cover over everything. To protect the mattress I had already put it in a plastic bag zip up type mattress protector. Regular "Queen" size toppers, pads, sheets, etc. will fit your 60"X80" bunk. After adding two inches of memory foam they fit our mattress even better!

The smaller bunk 48"X80" mattress is the issue. Unless you want to buy RV specific sheets, $$$, I suggest using XL Full size bedding. XL Full size is 54"X80", six inches wider, but you can tuck the excess under the mattress. As for moisture protection I"d use a XL Full plastic mattress bag over the mattress, a basic bedspread and then sleeping bags for the grand kids. Hopefully someone else with a 48"X60" mattress will chime in with a better plan...

If you go with plastic mattress bags just make sure you put the end with the zipper on the end of the mattress with the heater plug-in...

EDIT: One other thought, before you add anything other than a mattress cover, make sure it will fit when your bunks are stored inside with the roof down. Or plan on removing it when you break camp. With a high Wall A-Frame I don't have to worry about the height issue on the bed anyway...

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Need to check your tow and load ratings for the tacoma and figure it out vs. the weight of your trailer, and how loaded the truck might be. Also, make sure the hitch can handle the tongue weight.
Both vehicles are tow weight rated to 5000 lbs. GVWR. One is a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with a 4.7L V8 and the other is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0L V6. Both hitches came from Toyota, so they're rated for the full towing capacity. I believe they're Class IV, but don't quote me on that.

Opinions??? Thoughts???

TIA
Old 05-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #15

Tow sounds ok, but what about maximum load ratings. That is usually the weak spot on many vehicles. After you load the family and provisions into the vehicle, and then add the weight of the trailer you might go over the ratings.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #16

We sometimes tow the trailer with my wife's 2009 Toy Highlander 2.7 Lt 4 cylinder (with tow package and frame hitch). Just added brake controller. Fine here in Florida of course we don't have many hills to deal with. Works fine.

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #17

Welcome and good luck, I use a bal lever if needed and it's fast to level and a bal single chock. They both r great like others said and have a small shovel that I used this weekend to level it so I just needed to remove just a tad of surface so all I needed was the bal single chock and lock...all your answers are here,these guys and gals are the best.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1430782734.075681.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	76150Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1430782758.240512.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	76151
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #18

Yep. Those BAL products work well.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #19

We was the same way with the transition from tent to pop up. We love it now. I dont know how you would be cold at night in Arizona. Hell it gets down to 38 some nights here in northeast Ohio. In spring time and late fall. Well.. have a good time with your new camper. Send some pics. We all like pics.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #20

Need to go out to AZ in the winter...Flagstaff Arizona has Jan and Feb average high temps of 40 degrees with lows in the teens.
And even southern AZ, in the desert on a clear spring or fall night it can get chilly. And that is not mentioning high altitude camp sites.