Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
Brand New 1940 LTD Owner

My wife and I are the proud new owners of a brand spanking new 1940 LTD. It's so new we have it set up in our backyard with all the windows zipped open to let the "new" small dissipate a little. ;-)

This is our first camper. We finally made the move up from straight tent camping after; a) deciding we were too old to sleep on an air mattress on the ground, and b) we were too cold overnight. Not that it gets cold often in AZ mind you, but now we have nice beds and a propane heater!

So my question is, are there things we should do right away to our "investment" to keep it running smoothly and in tip top shape? Wash & wax it? Always get a special tool? Upgrade a stock part to something better?

Several people have suggested replacing the (orange) outdoor "porch" light with an LED bulb will increase battery life when camping. And I see I'll need to stop by the local wood shop to get some 2x4 & 2x6 scraps for wheel chocks and such. I'm just fielding other suggestions of that ilk. I'm just looking for some tips & tricks from the seasoned veterans here to make things extra special (and easy).

TIA ...

KWheelerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Anderson BAL leveler or anderson leveler instead of wood. If u have scizzor Jacks they have a socket end that goes in ur drill. Much faster n less work. Electric heater (propane gets pricy) that's if u have shore power. Look at pinterest outdoor camping. They have alot of ideas.

kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Congrats on your new pop up. New is nice.

I put some Eternabond tape on the roof of my new pop up as water leaks are what you need to be most concerned about. They recommend annual inspections and then chaulking when needed. I felt by the time you see the leak, the damage has begun. The tape will last longer than chalking will. Do some searched on here and on you tube for Eternabond tape and you can decide if it is worth doing or not.

Other thing to consider would be a cover if you do not park it in your garage.

Depending on how you camp you might need some containers to capture your grey water.

There are all kinds of other ideas on the forum here. Enjoy.

Good luck,

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new 1940 LTD.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
If I'm not mistaken, your actual porch liht bulb is led (white) and it is the lens cover that is amber. That's how it is on our new 2015 205.
2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4
2015 Flagstaff 205 Folding Camper
sewserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
new pup

Hurrah and have fun pup camping! A definite quality step up from tents! I bought an almost new 2012, same model. It is great for my wife, daughter, and myself. I replaced the courtesy light and the interior dome lights with LED's. Much brighter, less amp draw (good when you are using just 12V batt). I suggest some Gizmos- I can get by here in Florida with some Cabelas space blankets, covers the smaller bed bunk side perfectly, just a tad short on the bigger bunk. I also like the reflectix (sp.?) sheets to cool and shade the interior from the sun, a roll was 20$ and it is easy to cut to size and I stow them under the mattresses. Added a camco 90 degree elbow and fitting for the grey water drain. No furnace on mine, but do have A/C. Those bunk end light/fan combos are great, though I will put in LED's in those also. Great info here on maintenance, greasing the winch, cable, etc. use the search function. I love the 1940, very light, easy to trailer, roomy enough for small families, easy to setup. I love it!
2012 Rockwood 1940ltd

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
I have same pop up. New last year. Love it. Changed out all inside lights and outside porch with led. Very in expensive on Amazon. Definitely get the wheel balancer. Effortless! It Will work with small tires. Have fun!
ESDSKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
Congrats on the new rig. We bought ours new last year. Read all kinds of things that would be great to do. The only thing we did was change the thermostat to digital. Other than that take a notebook a good attitude a few of your favorite beverages and go out there an have fun!

Me the missus and three hooligans!
2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
2011 Honda Pilot
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
In case no one has mentioned it you should season your tent ends. Soak the tenting with water , especially the seams. Stitching will swell and be more waterproof.

jking46 is online now   Reply With Quote