Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Breaker keeps popping

We are camping till weds afternoon. I popped the camper up and got everything organized and the breaker in the camper (which is a g.f.I.) and the shore power breaker on the box keeps popping. I was told its the converter. Cause the fan wont kick on to cool the converter. And I reset the breakers and I put all the breakers inside the camper on but one. And thats the one for all the outlets. Anyone have any suggestions. Cause im getting ready to drive 2 hrs up north to get a new converter. And then 2 hrs back to the campground.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
clr

I am not real familiar with a pop up electrical system so here is where I would start. I think that your converter is plugged into the electric system with a normal 3 prog plug. Unplug the converter and see if the break will hold. If it does hold then plug in the converter if the breaker pops then I would unplug the converter and use an extension cord to plug the converter directly into the 20 amp connection on the power pedestal. Let me know what the results are and I will try and help with the next steps.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

If you have a multimeter I would test what you are plugged into first.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #4

The only thing I can do now is trial and error. The water pump wont work.and the outlets wont work. Everything else works. The water pump is behind the fuse box which is were the converter is. I dont know what to do. Drive 2 hrs or have no outlets and no water.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Look for a GFI outlet in the TT and try resetting it. ( power is needed to do this) If a gfi is tripped many times it will take out the breaker.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Im not quite sure what you are trying to have me do but im pretty sure I already did that. I have a box from the campground that I have power to. But when I put all the campers breakers up it blows. So now I dont have a water pump or outlets. Im getting ready to drive into town to get the converter. I dont see any other reason. Everything is leading to the converter.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Whatd a tt?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #8

Ohh. Clr. I cant find a plug for the converter. I think its hard wired into the camper. Now there is a plug for the cord that plugs into the shore power box. Thats the only 3 prong plug I see inside the camper.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
clr

You may be correct that the converter is hard wired but in most smaller RV's the converter is plug in. If I am understanding your progress so far, you have power to the campground box or pedestal. I will assume that the converter is on its own breaker in your camper. Turn off all the breakers in the RV and turn the campground power on the breaker should hold. Then turn on each breaker in the RV with the converter being the last to turn on. Does everyone hold or just the breaker for the converter cause the campground breaker to trip? Is the breaker for the converter a ground fault type breaker or is there a secondary ground fault type outlet somewhere else in the RV that may be on the same breaker. If there is an outlet type ground fault make sure that if has not tripped.
The campground breaker may also be bad or weak, is there another power option close by were you can plug into to test this? Campground breakers fail quite often.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Ok. lmao. Clr. First off thank you so much for your time and brains. I really appreciate it. You are correct. My pop up has all the breakers off but the ones I need. I have water pump now.lol. sooo. Not going anywhere but around the fire tonight and the rest of the time im here. I will get the converter next week.
I did try using the other shore hookups. All the same. Trips right away.. as long as my air conditioning works and I have water. Im going to be fine. I have my inlaws coming down tonight so I will pick my father in laws brain and see if he has any ideas.
Time to make a drink!!!! Thank you to all. If anyone has any other idea fell free to reply!!

Tags
breaker